So do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

Pics
Yeah it's me again, the hesitant, coopless newbie. I do "get it" about chicken math, and my intent is to have 3 or 4, but the math says I could double that, altho I really don't want to. My space is limited and I am working with a 9x9 area that is bounded by a tree on the right, my "barn" on the back and a ramp from the barn on the left. There will be a predator protected run that extends out in front of the coop for another 8 feet. The space is small, and the overhanging of the tree limits me even more. I do not want to trim my tree, but there is a nice niche between 6 o'clock and 11 o'clock where a 4 ft roof would fit. I was thinking a flatter style would allow a bigger horizontal space, and a nice pull-out drawer for cleaning would work. For those few chickens, do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

Attachments

• 20220404_122928.jpg
    20220404_122928.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 5
Yeah it's me again, the hesitant, coopless newbie. I do "get it" about chicken math, and my intent is to have 3 or 4, but the math says I could double that, altho I really don't want to. My space is limited and I am working with a 9x9 area that is bounded by a tree on the right, my "barn" on the back and a ramp from the barn on the left. There will be a predator protected run that extends out in front of the coop for another 8 feet. The space is small, and the overhanging of the tree limits me even more. I do not want to trim my tree, but there is a nice niche between 6 o'clock and 11 o'clock where a 4 ft roof would fit. I was thinking a flatter style would allow a bigger horizontal space, and a nice pull-out drawer for cleaning would work. For those few chickens, do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

My elevated coop is about four feet above the run. There are three large doors (you can see two of the doors in this photo and a partial). It contains four nesting boxes which are open into the coop (kinda hard to reach) and also accessible via flip doors built into our garage wall. I turn (rarely) the litter with a 3-4' long fork. There are also two perches and two vents (unsure if they are visible in this photo). Another aside; one or two hens perch on the inner vent hole with a half inch edge. Intriguing how they get into the triangular vent.

Hi, I have had a home made chicken coop for over 30 years and it's about 7-8 feet high. It's great to be able to go in and clean, and collect eggs. Build your coop and run as big as you can--I have 24 chickens right now, not counting the babies that will join when they are grown, and I have had up to 40 chickens.

Absolutely!!!

My coop is not a ‘walk in’. It’s large enough to accommodate my 10 hens and I openings on all four sides for easy access for cleaning. My run is 12’x14’ and is roofed over 50%. I plan roof another section snd leave only 20% unroofed so they can rest in the sun when the want to. Throughout the run I have roosts at varying heights that they love. The coop should be large enough for hens to spread out during warmer temperatures, have roosts snd be a minimum of 3” high with openings that can prevent predators from entering. I’ve surrounded the entire coop and run with 2”x 3” heavy gauge fencing. I also added 2” of .5” steel fencing around the lower end of the run after raccoons reached inside and killed five of my chicks who liked to sleep on the ground along the fence line 😞 I’ve only had backyard chickens for one year. If you do it right the first time - it’s better. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new pets 🤗🐔

My run is walk in, but coup not. It’s so easy to clean ( no bending required) and there are several doors and windows I can open to access and socialize with my flock. I have 6, more than I orig planned for but it’s working😜

Attachments

• B91E30DD-4F83-4C21-968D-74D9CA23DCB1.jpeg
    B91E30DD-4F83-4C21-968D-74D9CA23DCB1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 6B815E85-A58D-4BBD-BDCE-BF828019541D.jpeg
    6B815E85-A58D-4BBD-BDCE-BF828019541D.jpeg
    744.8 KB · Views: 5
O
20220731_125449.jpg
Ordered 6 chicks and rec'd 8. Bonus! Figured walkin was needed. I am glad I did it. Cleaning a stand up means these old knees aren't hurting. The 4x5 coop is on far end.

Back
Top Bottom