So do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

Pics
I will have a walk-in run (8x8) and that should be good enough for a beginner.

This is a really good idea. IMO, anything you can't reach every part from outside ought to be full-height walk-in. My brooder isn't and last year at this time I had 10 staples in my scalp from a close encounter with a hook screwed into the roof support of a 4-foot structure.

I don't really worry much about a possible 90F heat wave here in northern Minnesota.

At the moment, here in NC, we're thinking of 90F as a cool day when we *might* be able to get some yard work done. :D

I think you have all your reasons for why you wanna do it how you wanna do it! I don't think a walk in is necessary. It may be nice though...
However, I think you are correct in the fact that many people grew into it...I mean a lot of people start with the prefabs before moving on to bigger and better things!

You'll find out quickly if your design doesn't meet your needs...and then you can adjust of need be!

I am excited to see it all come together!!!
I DO want a walk in run tho, does that count??? LOL And a coop with a door big enough to allow me to clean it out easily.
I think I DO have a "vision" in mind. I'm just waiting for my neighbor to get back from vacay, so I can ask him if he will build the frame for me, and then I'm off to the races!!

I DO want a walk in run tho, does that count??? LOL And a coop with a door big enough to allow me to clean it out easily.
I think I DO have a "vision" in mind. I'm just waiting for my neighbor to get back from vacay, so I can ask him if he will build the frame for me, and then I'm off to the races!!
Walk in run...definelty necessary!!! I love going out in my run with my girls!! We spend A LOT of time in the run together lol...

My coop doors are a good size and I think that's helpful!! Especially in removing the roosts and getting in and out of that thing...bc yes...you will have to get in and out of it lol.

This thread is really large but still pretty new and I apologize if this has already been said but, I don't have a walk-in coop and I don't regret it.

My few chickens have an outdoor run that I have to crouch down to get inside and clean, and I put up with this because I have no mobility issues and it was really cost effective to build. And I can move it around easily by my self, which is valuable to me right now.

From their outdoor run they walk through a hole that I cut in an outdoor shed and into the henhouse which is tall but on legs. While standing I can open the little door (something like 48" x 28") and lean into this to reach anything inside of it. I have two and they are about 6x4. Also very cost effective to build.

There are certainly days where I would like to go in and spend time with my chickens without worrying about predators. I see photos of coops with a patio chair inside and that would be so nice! Also as mentioned earlier, I have no health issues that negate this setup.

I ended up getting a metal shed and used it for a coop. I cut windows in there for sunlight, and used plexiglass. Then put vents that can open/close for ventilation. In the summer the doors can be open, in the winter they can close to prevent wind and snow. The downside to metal is, I had to repair the leaks from rain and snow with caulk and sometime it would be hard to find where it was coming from. Im doing a new coop this spring, and plan on a plastic shed instead, like a lifetime brand or even Rubbermaid. This would make it so much easier to clean out twice a year with a hose. Weather resistant, it already has windows and ventilation. But I love the fact I can just walk in my coop. Because cleaning out their run once a week nearly kills my back. Im 41, (no spring chicken) 😂 Best of luck!

I ended up getting a metal shed and used it for a coop. I cut windows in there for sunlight, and used plexiglass. Then put vents that can open/close for ventilation. In the summer the doors can be open, in the winter they can close to prevent wind and snow. The downside to metal is, I had to repair the leaks from rain and snow with caulk and sometime it would be hard to find where it was coming from. Im doing a new coop this spring, and plan on a plastic shed instead, like a lifetime brand or even Rubbermaid. This would make it so much easier to clean out twice a year with a hose. Weather resistant, it already has windows and ventilation. But I love the fact I can just walk in my coop. Because cleaning out their run once a week nearly kills my back. Im 41, (no spring chicken) 😂 Best of luck!
I saw a rubbermaid coop here on BYC and it looked interesting. If my neighbor (or my son) are not able to help me build the Monitor Coop, a plastic one might be my next option. But I *DO* know that I'd had squirrels chew through a plastic bucket that held birdseed, so I wonder about predators chewing into a plastic coop. Maybe not all in one night, but persistently. Anyone know anything about that???

Last edited:
Im doing a new coop this spring, and plan on a plastic shed instead, like a lifetime brand or even Rubbermaid.

This is a great plastic shed build: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/

This would make it so much easier to clean out twice a year with a hose.

Except in extreme circumstances it should never be necessary to wet-clean a chicken coop. :) Dry chickens are healthy chickens.

Back
Top Bottom