so dry how can they find bugs?

ladyearth

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
kentucky
we built or say fenced in that is, in 100 by 100 feet extra run for for the two sets of chickens...
It is mostly its yucky invasive bermuda grass , row of apple trees and row of wild cherry and misc mulberry young trees and row of grape vines and now cutting down the blasted blackbery bushes(ouch) row......
crawling around with them , over bricks and rocks outside their apron hdwe. cloth on outside of their run..... so dry barel finding anything....
so other than me growing some wheat grass and now hopefully today "Boss sprouts in their runs ?not turning over rocks for them.. what ?
thanks yall

Are you concerned there is not sufficient forage for them to supplement their feed -- or are you not providing feed at all and intending for them to find sufficient forage to support themselves entirely?

we built or say fenced in that is, in 100 by 100 feet extra run for for the two sets of chickens...
It is mostly its yucky invasive bermuda grass , row of apple trees and row of wild cherry and misc mulberry young trees and row of grape vines and now cutting down the blasted blackbery bushes(ouch) row......
crawling around with them , over bricks and rocks outside their apron hdwe. cloth on outside of their run..... so dry barel finding anything....
so other than me growing some wheat grass and now hopefully today "Boss sprouts in their runs ?not turning over rocks for them.. what ?
thanks yall
From your original post I'm guessing that you are wondering if what your chickens are getting from "off the land" is all you need to feed them???

Simple answer, especially if you want eggs is.....NO.

What type of chicken feed do you feed your flock? What age are they? What breed are they?

Also, you mentioned those blasted blackberry bushes. Be aware that those thorny, brambly bushes are bumblefoot heaven! Try everything you can to keep them OUT of that area, or you'll be plagued with bumblefoot for sure down the road.

I have two sets of hicken in 2 area.. they only get in 100 ffot area over 3/4 of the day...
i have 3 feeds... they wont eat the one.....it is supp to be an organic mash....
2nd is pellets......by "precesion feeds" crybabies wont eat it...
hey prob prefer "crumbles... 3rd is supp to be organic.. "nature grown" crumbles supposedly. duh... has weevils in it...... waste. bought it 87 miles away.. waste of $40
bought seperate bags of whole non GMO corn, milo, millet, wheat, Boss. also give the younger 2 teaspoona or so of scrambled egg with tbs of Brown rice cooked. I also been giving the Barr rocks two are 6 1/2 months old, other two , or supposedly. younger barr rocks . The older, other group is DA (supposedly 2 years old plus) Buff Orps , They are stuckin their ways, wont eat veggies like the Barr rocks I raised from chicks (2 of them) do....
so they need insects for more protein etc......
plus the feed also have soy... which I hate....
also give them my organic raised... pepper seeds from us eating peppers , occ cherry tomato, canteloupe seeds, my green beans cooked mostly left over ones....
Have cut down most of those ouchy blasted blackberry wild bushes..... too
once or twice a week split the small can of salmon based cat food between the 9 chickens.... two of the nine are Roos.....
but they so look and scratch for BUGS... AND WEEDS,
they whine so for hr or so before dark I let them out of all the big run into rest of property esp they run to my 2 compost areas.... and under the toolsheds lean- tos....

I have two sets of hicken in 2 area.. they only get in 100 ffot area over 3/4 of the day...
i have 3 feeds... they wont eat the one.....it is supp to be an organic mash....
2nd is pellets......by "precesion feeds" crybabies wont eat it...
hey prob prefer "crumbles... 3rd is supp to be organic.. "nature grown" crumbles supposedly. duh... has weevils in it...... waste. bought it 87 miles away.. waste of $40
bought seperate bags of whole non GMO corn, milo, millet, wheat, Boss. also give the younger 2 teaspoona or so of scrambled egg with tbs of Brown rice cooked. I also been giving the Barr rocks two are 6 1/2 months old, other two , or supposedly. younger barr rocks . The older, other group is DA (supposedly 2 years old plus) Buff Orps , They are stuckin their ways, wont eat veggies like the Barr rocks I raised from chicks (2 of them) do....
so they need insects for more protein etc......
plus the feed also have soy... which I hate....
also give them my organic raised... pepper seeds from us eating peppers , occ cherry tomato, canteloupe seeds, my green beans cooked mostly left over ones....
Have cut down most of those ouchy blasted blackberry wild bushes..... too
once or twice a week split the small can of salmon based cat food between the 9 chickens.... two of the nine are Roos.....
but they so look and scratch for BUGS... AND WEEDS,
they whine so for hr or so before dark I let them out of all the big run into rest of property esp they run to my 2 compost areas.... and under the toolsheds lean- tos....
From what you're saying I believe you have been attempting to feed your flock the organic way. While I applaud your efforts it can be an expense you really don't have to take on...it sounds like you've been spending a LOT of money unnecessarily. My suggestion would be to change your feed over to a good layer feed such as Purina Layena crumbles (my girls, like yours, hate the pellets!). This is a complete feed and one that doesn't have to be "added to" as it is a complete feed with the proper amount of protein percentage, vitamins and minerals. You should also have oyster shell "on the side" next to their feed...they will eat that on their own as they feel the need...this aids in stronger egg shells.

I noticed you said you have 2 roos for 9 chickens. This may be problematic as you only need 1 roo for them, and the roos will eventually (if not already) start fighting for control, and between the two of them will "over-mate" your 9 girls...once it gets bloody it's downhill all the way.

Glad to hear you have cut down most of the blackberry bushes...this will help their feet immensely. Even though you've cut them down have you taken the time to check each of your flock's feet to check for possible bumblefoot?

I wouldn't give your chickens that salmon cat food. If you follow my advice and give them "layer feed" they will be getting the correct amount of protein.

I give my girls "breakfast" about 4-5 times a week and alternate: one day it will be warm oatmeal sprinkled with black sunflower seeds, the other day it will be hard-boiled eggs, shell and all, crushed up really good...they go wild when they see "the bowl" approaching the run!!
gig.gif

I hope some of what I have said will help you in your decision-making, and I wish you all the very best with your girls...please keep us updated!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom