So, have y'all ever considered....?

A chicken turned me into a veggie!
Here we all were sitting around a table and there was a chook lying on its back on a plate with its legs or (whats left of them) up in the air.
Everyone started pulling strips of flesh from the bird as if they were cavemen or lions.
I couldnt join in and from then on I never ate meat again.

I have some gag reflex now with chicken legs Dr.Goose so I avoid those. I try not to think too much about the association of chicken breasts with my babies out back or yes, I would have to forego chicken altogether. I could never raise and eat them and I cannot eat deer for the gagging and nausea, same with rabbit. Never tried or intend to try the birds like quail or duck so I guess like weeble, I better not ever own any cows or it would be tofu and sprouts only for me!! Darlene

just saw your post Banty and just the imagine I getin my head from what you wrote is distressing, lol!!

Last edited:
i like raising my birds, and i will eat them when the time comes. It'll give saying grace some real substance.

Been a vegetarian for umpteen years now - decades. Just had too much trouble taking a life when I could opt for an alternative. I wasn't able to look at a dead animal on the table and not feel badly that it didn't get to live its life because of me. I wasn't able to convince my self that unnamed was different than named. That's just me. I don't ask others to feel the same way. My parents eat chicken and other animals and I love them dearly!
JJ

I've been semi vegetarian almost all my life....since I was probably about 4 or 5! I do eat some meats, but I'm very picky! However, I just don't plain like the taste of meat, especially red meat. I never intentionally turned vegetarian. It all started when I found a bone in my chicken nugget! After that I had a big problem with anything hard or chewy in my meat! LOL

I will eat white chicken or turkey meat and I ate some meatballs that I made last night. I'll also eat seasoned things like beef jerky and pepperoni.

We do eat our extra roos, we are trying to establish a flock of laying hens. We have been hatching our own, by letting the hens do the brooding! It is a slow process, but my Little guy gets to see the eggs hatch and it is cheaper for us since we do not have a bater! So far our luck has it that we get 2 hens to 4 roos! We did buy some d'uccles last spring, and this spring we plan on getting a few more kinds to unsure all ladies!!! We haven't decided how many!
We also raise Muscovy duck. We tried the meat last summer and let me tell you, it is so good, we do not keep the duck whole, we breast it out, and keep the thigh and legs. Not much meat else where on the ducks!
We then grill the breast meat, all I do is rub some olive oil on the boneless, skinless breast and season with a garlic and herb mix, and a touch of seasoned meat tenderizer. Grill as if it were a piece of steak. It looks like steak, feels like steak, the beast cut of steak. I sometimes cut the meat into small thin strips and put it on flat bread with a little cucumber ranch sauce and some Monterey jack cheese and tomato slices, what a gyro!
The meat is even better cooked over a camp fire.
The meat is leaner than turkey.
Yes it is hard to butcher the ducks and chickens we raise, we do not take it lightly. We take good care and give them love and attention till it is time. I know that the animal I raised received the best life and focus on that had I bought it in the store it probably never even saw daylight let alone ate grasses or bugs, or got to bath in a dust bath or a pond!
We do not name our meat birds. My little guy understands we can not keep all the babies because we will be over run with animals, and he eats the meat, he does prefer deer meat though! We didn't get a deer yet this year. My older boys eat the meat, but can't eat the eggs go figure! LOL!!!
So yes it is hard, but we know what we fed our birds, and what condition they were raised so it helps us feel we are doing what is best for our family!

I only name the birds i take to the fair. I dont have a problem eating them, we take them to a local family who butchers poultry $1 and 1 min a bird (they dont rush either, they are just fast) We leave our chickens in crates, go eat breakfast somewhere since they only work from 4 to 6, then you come back and pick up chicken. You dont see what happens to them, and they are might tasty. The places smells tho from all the blood and wet feathers. Oh yea the purina dog food company is just down the road, wonder where all the heads and inards go? Chicken by products is the second ingreedent on our purina dog food bag. At least we know that some of those by products come from good pastured poultry.

You may kill me but...the only kinda meat I like is chicken, its the only meat I eat. I dont like steak because I used to have to eat steak every very day because thats all my dad ever liked to eat.

It might turn me into eating chicken only - I feel so much better knowing where my chickens are, what the ate, what antibiotics they didn't get fed.........
Only I don' thave the guts to get chickens for meat.....
We are, after all, Omnivores by design.

I am a vegetarian and I stopped eating meat only in Nov. but I will never go back. I wouldn't eat my dogs which I love dearly and they are no different than my chickens or a cow squished in some factory farm. I choose to save lives instead of take them. When we finally buy a place outside the city I want to take in abused farm animals because they have a right to live just as much as I do.
My bf stopped eating meat over a year ago. and this was after he started working in the meat dept. at Walmart. He started having horrible dreams and one morning he woke up in sweats and said he'd never eat meat again. And he hasn't.
Its so awesome there are other vegetarians here as well, I thought I was the only one
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom