So how is Zane doing?

Rusty Hills Farm

Crowing
16 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Up at the barn
I was following along with his difficulties and was glad to hear he was doing better, but we haven't heard anything in a bit and I got to wondering about him?

LOL I'd never cared for barred Rocks until he came along and changed my mind. Now I may have to hatch a few!

Tell him I said, Hey, Zane!

big_smile.png

I'll tell the Zanester you were asking after him, thank you! He's doing well, sort of run-walking while flapping his wings. He still isn't able to move the toes to grip on the bad leg, but he can move it fine from the hip joint-he was even using it the other day to scratch dirt backwards in a real dustbath. His color is good and he's gained some weight back. He can sort of dance for the ladies and flirts alot. I just cant let them in with him, except maybe my black Ameraucana, Gypsy, who seems to adore him. He grabbed her to mate and then seems perplexed when his legs wouldn't cooperate to do the deed.
I still have hope that he will recover, at least enough to hold his own in the flock. He wouldn't be able to at this point since he really can't walk or stand up without using his wings to prop himself on one side or to flap in order to take weight off his legs to propel himself around. The infection in the joint seems to be gone, but I'm hoping he doesn't have permanent nerve damage that will prevent him from making more progress. We'll see-he's well worth all the effort on his behalf.

Zane is such a magnificent bird. I was on line looking for an update on him and had to do a search..lol so glad I found this. Thanks for the pics!

speckled hen, I sort of candled. Did a check last week--just enough to see if anything was different. Plan on taking a good look tomorrow night. Cross your fingers for me.

Back
Top Bottom