So I am thinking of making a bachelor pad for my roosters

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
Silkie roosters that need to be taken out of the breeding population. We do not eat these cup'o'soup guys. There are a few though that guard their hens while egg laying and show real rooster skills. To be honest I have the pad already ready for them now just the wife and I have to make the decision on separating them from the flock. We have at least 2 3 month old sumatra Cockerel/roosters who will step up to be flock guardians. I probably need to wait another month on having a real cockerel and tolerate the silkies a bit longer. It is just so hard tolerating crummy roosters.

Last edited:
Might want to move some before they are super hormonal and become a problem so they can work out their pecking order with less drama.

I just built a rooster run for 3 bantam cockerels and a very timid standard cockerel. I want to slowly move them into it and let them work out their pecking order before the big guy gets rapey. Right now the bantam chicks will bully and chase the older standard but I figure the bantams will be less brave if there are only a couple in with him.

I had used the bachelor pad previously and then later out of necessity reintroduced them in to the flock. They made quite the dynamic duo after spending a month together they were a nightmare to anything a rooster cared about just x2 it was quite the team building exercise.

Additionally, with established roosters in the flock the young ones no longer get hormonal towards us. I guess they now have other priorities.

Ha! Too funny that they stayed teamed up even after rejoining the flock!

My flock has had the same two OEG bantam roosters for 5 years or so now (father and son) and they will stay with their flock until they pass on. These 3 cockerels are their offspring from a store bought bantam hen. They were raised by their mother but I insisted on daily handling to ensure they would be super tame.

Here is a pic of their bachelor run, they also have a small part of the hen house fenced off for night time roosting. The run is 10x30 ft which should be big enough to promote social harmony.

pen1.jpg pen4.jpg

Last edited:
I had used the bachelor pad previously and then later out of necessity reintroduced them in to the flock. They made quite the dynamic duo after spending a month together they were a nightmare to anything a rooster cared about just x2 it was quite the team building exercise.

Additionally, with established roosters in the flock the young ones no longer get hormonal towards us. I guess they now have other priorities.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom