So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

Quote:
Thanks, Joe. I cut lap joints so that the timbers can't slide together. I.e., the weight of the dirt outside pushes the timbers tight together, but they can't go any further.

Quote:
I'm planning on mounding dirt over the whole thing, then covering it with a layer or two of heavy-duty black poly, then covering with more dirt and planting with a ground cover. We have good drainage, water doesn't stay in the hole even after a downpour. I may use spray urethane foam between the timbers. I still have the gun and a couple cans left over from building my house.

My quandary at the moment is how to incorporate a door that's tall enough to be comfortable yet doesn't look awkward.

I'm toying with the idea of building a small conventional-looking shed on top. From the outside, no one would realize that there's a large "basement" underneath it. (Watch that first step...)

I still have a couple months to mull it over. Thoughts?

Quote:
I'm the founder of a movement! Watch out for C.H.U.D.

lol i just looked that up on the other page hopefully my neighbors dont see me building my chamber of secrets ha
sickbyc.gif
wee.gif

After delays attributable to winter freezing, spring rains, economic shortfalls, and a period of contemplative conceptualization that my wife mistakenly characterizes as laziness, WORK ON THE "CHICKEN HOLE" HAS RESUMED!

IMG_2262.jpg

I think I would like my husband to take a look at this thread. I am thinking I would love a coop like that.

edited to add... I am now following this topic too.

Last edited:
We're keeping our chickens in our basement, we only have 6, spoilt rotten sweetie pies. I love the protective feeling of it. No coons, no foxes, good controlled temperature in heat and cold. Of course they go outside all day but its the creatures of the night we're afraid of. Now I'll have to wonder if a chicken hole is maybe a better idea. One son always wanted a fancy room "from the Hobbit's Shire" built into our hill. Heck I could get a row of those built into our hill.

Hmmmm......please keep those pictures updated, ok?

Back
Top Bottom