So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

what is this snow stuff you keep talking about? its sticky? i don't get it,,,,
aww to live in so cal.

great coop idea,,, cant wait till spring to see the finished coop.

All I can say is Wow!!! I'm from Arizona, but now live in the wilds of Arkansas. Being a hiker for most of my life, I clearly remember the pit houses and below level homes of the Hoho'Kam natives scattered over the desert floors. What a great idea!!! So now I can see such a hen hut in the back of my house here in Arkansas!!
D.gif
(sorry poor husband, your girl has a new stolen idea
hide.gif
) So keep the great work coming, and photos too!!! Thank you for the memories also,,,
wee.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Thaw it?! I can't even see it. There could be a colony of C.H.U.D.* living down there under the snow for all I know.

*To anyone who knows what C.H.U.D. are: You're old.

yuckyuck.gif
I'm old then because I know of C.H.U.D. Such a brilliant idea! Someday when I have my place I want a root cellar. I wish we could do a small one here but er...don't quite know where the septic tank is here. Plus the ground is like cement for the first half foot.
he.gif

i did have a project going for a new coop but i think that one will be going to the dumps and taking a little of your idea if thats alright? i dont want to seem like a copy chicken (cat)

Looks like a good idea!

Having 40+ years of construction experience I'd recommend you do a couple of things:
1) Spike or cabin screw every 16 to 24 inches. Be sure to stagger you spiking pattern so you don't hit the head of the spike below the one you're driving!
2) On the "dirt side" of your structure use a vapor barrier of some kind- it'll keep ground moisture from wicking in & seal any gaps that would allow dirt to seep thru the cracks.
3) You may want to consider using closed cell foam expansion tape between courses. This stuff is a double sided sticky tape that expands in thickness- makes a very good seal.
4) Cabin screws are more costly than spikes but MUCH more user friendly- pre drill a starter hole & then just screw them in with a god cordless drill- easier on the arms!
5) Spiking or screwing every 16-24 inches will back your entire wall "act" as a unit instead of just the corners being connected
6) Rerod can be used in leiu of spikes BUT you must drill all theway thru each piece. Rerod cheap- but much more labor intensive.

joe

Quote:
Thaw it?! I can't even see it. There could be a colony of C.H.U.D.* living down there under the snow for all I know.

*To anyone who knows what C.H.U.D. are: You're old.

yuckyuck.gif
I'm old then because I know of C.H.U.D. Such a brilliant idea! Someday when I have my place I want a root cellar. I wish we could do a small one here but er...don't quite know where the septic tank is here. Plus the ground is like cement for the first half foot.
he.gif

and to you young whippersnappers who DON'T know what CHUD is/are: a movie called C.H.U.D. featured mutant underground monster creatures who became thus from chemicals being disposed of in a city's sewage/underground subway tunnels. CHUD stood for both the following: Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers
and Contamination Hazard -- Urban Disposal. *says the one with WAY too much useless trivia floating around in the gray matter*

Back
Top Bottom