So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oblio13, Oct 25, 2008.

1. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    what are you going to use as supports the roof sounds like its going to be quite heavy.
    can't wait to see it finished!!

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:Yes, it is likely to be quite heavy. I've just been looking at some options for a flat roof and the material weights.

Conventional flat top asphalt & gravel roofs weigh about 5.5 lbs/square foot.
    Loam soil planting mix weighs about 130 lbs/cubic foot.
    Peat and vermiculite planting mix weighs about 35 lbs/cubic foot.

Perhaps, a full 12 inches of soil on the roof would not be necessary so those numbers could be halved.

My biggest concern would be construction expense . . .

Steve

edited: sorry that's perlite not vermiculite in a 50/50 ratio with peat.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  3. Home on the Stead

Home on the Stead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    You're building it similar to an old-style root cellar. That being the case, you'll probably want 12-24" of soil on top for insulation (and cooling in the summer).

Don't know what your span is, and it sounds like you've been looking at loads, but a 2x10 or 2x12 with a taper at 12" on center should hold a load like that. But don't take my word on it, definitely do a load calc. To make it cheaper you could build more of a peak with standard roof construction and leave the soil off.

Great Idea by the way - got me thinking where I might do that on our property. [​IMG]

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  5. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I'd love to see more pics!!! I think it's brilliant.

6. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    keep posting pictures i think this going to be great! [​IMG]

7. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Keep posting pics. I will try to post a photo of my friends' burm home. The southern face is the only part not buried, even their garage is in the burm. They have a wonderful perennial garden on the roof. Oh, and no problem with water. The entire home is elevated above a nearby nature preserve.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Thank goodness for neighbors with large machinery! [​IMG] Do keep us updated!

9. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Wow, what a great idea. I cant wait to see the finished coop. Nice of your neighbor to take pity on you and come over with his backhoe. Send him by my place, I need a pond.

Chel

10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I haven't figured out the details yet, it's kind of taking shape as it goes along. The hole is now 10'x14', and I figure with the soil and potential snowload, it'll need to be built to hold 100 pounds per square foot. I'll ask the lumberyard to figure out what I need for a ten-foot span. If necessary, I'll put in a center support.

It's become a neighborhood project - I bribed them with a boat ride to the pizza parlor:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by