So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oblio13, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Boat ride to the pizza parlor??? are the streets flooded?
  2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire

What's now become locally known as "The Chicken Hole" is progressing slowly. This may become a race with freezing weather. Inside dimensions are about 10' x 11'.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like you got frustrated enough to take a bite out of the shovel. BAD Oblio, BAD. [​IMG]

It's looking good, tho.
  4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

nice !!!! [​IMG]
  5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Hooray for the chicken hole! [​IMG]
  6. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    I don't know how I missed this thread because this was the idea I was thinking of when I first thought of putting a coop in our backyard.

We were once planning on doing a greenhouse somewhat like this... although not as deep as yours, not truly "underground".

We were just thinking of having the floor sit below the frost line in order to take advantage of the cooling and warming features of below-ground building.
  7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Funny post Bearded Chick.

By the way, your screen name paints a funky picture....
  8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    LMAO Love your new sig Oblio [​IMG] [​IMG]
  9. LittleHouseDreams

LittleHouseDreams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    My husband dug a deep trench once and called it his "Bonnie Hole." Man we had that "Bonnie Hole" forever. But don't fret you will finish even if it's not till next spring (if the weather holds you up.) Oh and tell your DW that she's not alone. There are more of us DWs that have had to live with holes (the dug kind) for sometime. Oh and it's lookin' good by the way! Can't wait to see the finished product [​IMG] .

Good Luck and I hope the weather (and inspiration) holds out!
  10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:She saw the lumber bill, and now she's demanding a new computer, a new car, a fence for the yard, and a pound of flesh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by