So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

Neat job! We are looking forward to see the rest of the building.
Question for you...why the spaces between the boards against the wall? I realize the wood is to secure the walls, but the spaces will be "eaten" away by the girls...and are you in a wet area? Up here in the foothills we have never seen such sandy soil (not that we don't have it) but I have a lot of ledge which means water is running over and between them.
Don't get me wrong, I am so curious to see how it turns out!!!

I got a little distracted by work and deer season and, um, well, laziness, and now the ground is frozen. I've been pecking away at it with a pick and shovel, but it's slow going. I'll try to get the frame up before the snow is too deep, but I'm afraid I won't be able to cover it with earth before spring.

Quote:
The spaces are just to save wood and make construction easy. Those 4x8x12's are $55 apiece.

Our soil is basically bank-run gravel, in other words a mix of sand and stones of all sizes. It drains extremely well. You couldn't get standing water if you wanted to.

My basic plan is to cover the whole structure with a layer of sandy soil, then put down a couple thicknesses of black plastic extending well past the structure, like an umbrella. Then I'll cover that with topsoil and plant it.

Quote:
The chickens aren't in charge around here, I am.

I keep telling myself that...

yuckyuck.gif

sure....
gig.gif

Seriously, this is a cool thing and lucky to have an area like what you have! DH even had to dig a ditch, fill it with rocks for drainage in the garden!

You gonna put down a slab of concrete and maybe some forms for a basement type wall ?? Just curious.

OH, I really like the buried school bus idea. Kinda gives my a warm and fuzzy feeling all over. I would only have dreamed of burying my early in the moring, late getting me home school bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
It's at a standstill until the ground thaws again.

Quote:
No, it'll just stay dirt. I figure that'll give them something to scratch in, and provide drainage.

Back
Top Bottom