So, I got the chicks, food, water, coop started......now what?

chicamama

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Topanga Ca
Already lovin my little 1 month olds. My dd already has a favorite *Fluffy* and I must say, they are so sweet with being handled. We do not have any nesting boxes or perches/roosts? yet. Are they too young for table (fruit, veggies, etc) scraps?

They don't need nesting boxes until they are much closer to laying eggs. I didn't let them have access to the boxes until they were over 4 months old. You definately don't need them getting in the habit of sleeping in the boxes - then you end up with poopy/dirty eggs...

Mine didn't roost until they were a bit older either - some breeds are more 'flighty' than others and like a roost sooner.

As far as treats - once you give them something other than chick starter you need to give them some chick grit (get the kind specially made for chicks, not oyster shell, which is for laying birds) to help them grind it up.

Also, treats are a VERY small part of diet - you don't want them filling up on low-protein treats and then not eating enough chick starter to keep them growing healthy. The diet needs to stay balanced for optimum growth/health.

Have fun with your babies!!

Back
Top Bottom