So I just picked up the supplies to build my coop...

LDSmama

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
Logan, Utah
I have a few more things still on the way, but I'm getting there. I should have it ready by the time the chicks are ready to go outside. This is my plan right now:

5365699745711804558%253Faccount_id%253D1

The entire thing will be covered in 1/2" hardware cloth, with skirts all around to protect from digging. The actual coop part (the square part on the right) will also have corrugated plastic covering most of it, with just a few spots left open (but with close-able shutters) for windows. Also spots for ventilation. The roof will be a heavy duty tarp, permanently attached over chicken wire. The nest boxes will be 5-gallon buckets, with openings at the back to allow for egg gathering from outside the coop. There will be two roosts, both made of 2x3 pine. The floor is open. There will be wheels on the back of the coop (by the nest boxes) to allow the whole thing to be moved around my very large (70'x160') side yard.

The base is made of 4" PVC pipe, while the arches are from 1" PVC. The coop itself is constructed of 2x3 pine. I designed the entire thing with weight in mind - to get it as lightweight as possible. I didn't want to do wood touching the ground directly, and treated boards are quite heavy, hence the 4" PVC. I'm building it in my garage, at least mostly. I'll have to do some of the assembly outside, as it is 8' high at the highest point. The whole thing is 30' long, with the coop itself being 8'x8'. I have 12 birds now, but wanted to leave the option of growing my flock open.

Now to hope the snow melts before the chicks are ready to go outside!

Attachments

• 5365699745711804558.jpg
    5365699745711804558.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 7
I'm impressed that you built a model of the coop you're going to build!

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product and if it's stiff and sturdy enough to lift from the end opposite the wheels and move around. I'm not predicting it won't be, but a tractor that size would be impressive.

Interesting design. I'll be looking forward to your progress. What is the floor of the coop going to be? Have you done any weight calculations? Seems like it would still be a bear to move. Is the run going to be permanently attached to the coop? I'd be worried about the structural stability/integrity if trying to move it all as a single unit. I'd probably reorient the roosts so they ran front to back rather than side to side. Wouldn't want to be stepping over piles of chicken poop when walking into the coop, but maybe you're fastidious and clean the coop every day.

I'm impressed that you built a model of the coop you're going to build!

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product and if it's stiff and sturdy enough to lift from the end opposite the wheels and move around. I'm not predicting it won't be, but a tractor that size would be impressive.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing if it works, too! I may have to modify the plan somewhat to make it work, so we'll just have to see.

Interesting design. I'll be looking forward to your progress. What is the floor of the coop going to be? Have you done any weight calculations? Seems like it would still be a bear to move. Is the run going to be permanently attached to the coop? I'd be worried about the structural stability/integrity if trying to move it all as a single unit. I'd probably reorient the roosts so they ran front to back rather than side to side. Wouldn't want to be stepping over piles of chicken poop when walking into the coop, but maybe you're fastidious and clean the coop every day.

The floor will be open to the ground, as I have no desire to clean the coop any more often than is absolutely necessary.

Also, I haven't done any weight calculations; I may very well have to make adjustments as I go.

Just something to think about: Ventilation should be >/= to 10% of floor space in coop, and you may want to lower those roosts. If birds are roosting near the roof, they will be more prone to frost bite. Interesting triangulation at the corners.

I built something similar when I first got chickens. But I used wood and cattle panel hoops. It's really heavy. I did not attach the run to the coop. Eventually I made several tunnel sections and started moving the run without the coop and connecting with tunnels. It all worked pretty well until chicken math takes over.

Another fantastic model!
Makes much more sense than the dome.
You get a lot of snow there?
Thank you! Yeah, while I love the idea of the dome, I just couldn't find a way to make it work in our snowy climate. Because yes, we do get a lot of snow, at least usually. This year has been really light - we only have about a foot on the ground. Last year at this time, we had twice that.

Just something to think about: Ventilation should be >/= to 10% of floor space in coop, and you may want to lower those roosts. If birds are roosting near the roof, they will be more prone to frost bite. Interesting triangulation at the corners.
The roosts are that high because I'm trying to have them higher than the nest boxes - is it a problem if they are at the same level? If that's ok, then I'll just move them lower. The top of the nest boxes will be at about 3 feet. I can't really lower them any, because I need to be able to get my wheelchair under them in back to gather eggs. That's the reason for the bump-out. The bottom of that is at 2 feet.

The triangulation is to stabilize the main structure so it will be less likely to fail when it is moved.

Back
Top Bottom