So I started a (small) worm farm...

HuevosModesto

Chirping
Aug 21, 2018
I started a small worm farm in a horse trough so that I could compost, have great dirt (castings), and have free(ish) protein for my chickens. I’ve tossed worms in their run a few times, only to watch the chickens peck, eyeball, and lose interest without eating them. Today I tossed some worm-filled dirt into the run today to see if scratching through the dirt for worm prizes would pique their interest, but to no avail. Ideas?

Attachments

• 0A6DEFD4-9CEA-4E6A-9F9D-F19DE0B3648E.jpeg
    0A6DEFD4-9CEA-4E6A-9F9D-F19DE0B3648E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • 70F4BCDF-FCA4-4A90-A4E3-6209531F825B.jpeg
    70F4BCDF-FCA4-4A90-A4E3-6209531F825B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 4C0CE0E4-1C46-4343-A1CA-BE5EAC48491E.jpeg
    4C0CE0E4-1C46-4343-A1CA-BE5EAC48491E.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 9
Actual worms don't tend to be that interesting to animals, start either a mealworm farm or a superworm farm and they will go nuts. I have done several of both in the past, all you need is a plastic shoebox, plain oat meal and a potato cut in half. Keep it out of sunlight and let it go

Actual worms don't tend to be that interesting to animals, start either a mealworm farm or a superworm farm and they will go nuts. I have done several of both in the past, all you need is a plastic shoebox, plain oat meal and a potato cut in half. Keep it out of sunlight and let it go
Interesting... I considered a meal worm farm, but I’m concerned about escaping beetles making it a nightmare. What are superworms?

My girls go crazy over earthworms and mealworms just like they do with spaghetti noodles. I also have a vermicompost bin in the garage and on occasion, I will dig some out for the girls. I am planning to start growing mealworms very soon! The dried ones can get very expensive.

Interesting... I considered a meal worm farm, but I’m concerned about escaping beetles making it a nightmare. What are superworms?

I have a meal worm farm. The beetles can't crawl out. They can barely right themselves without something to push against. They seem to constantly be trying to flip themselves back on their feet. Whenever I watch this I say to myself "no wonder you're food".

Growing mealworms is super easy. They don't escape their bins, and can't fly or bite. I use a multi tiered tray system for the farm.

I also have several worm bins, but the mealworms reproduce much quicker and are more nutritious for the birds :)

Back
Top Bottom