SO... is it cheaper to buy chicks from a magazine or from feed store?

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
Im thinking of my spring order and Im going for 100 cornish rocks and maybe some turkey poults.

Last year I paid $10 ea. for the heritage breed turkeys.. I see their in the magazine (Murry McMurry) for 9.44 I couldn't beat the feed store price since I would have to $30 shipping.

Now, for the cornish, they're $154 for 100 of them... which breaks down to 1.50 cents each.... with $40 to ship which = more like $2 ea... I thnk they were selling them at the feed store for 2.50??? which would save me 50 bucks! Does anyone else know how that usually breaks down? I understand the feed stores need to make their money but they also order in bulk which saves for them... probably just depends on what you're ordering

I can't speak for the CX in my area (yet) but turkeys are ridiculous around here. Ideal is comes out to around $12.50 a poult with shipping, all the stores around me are $15.50 or more a poult.

Id order if I couldnt get what I want locally other wise Id rather see the birds and pick out what I want. I want to get a couple turkeys this summer but dont know if I can find them.

I ordered my chicks from the local feed store "today" (Saturday really, but they weren't supposed to sell them until today). I paid $2.99 each for my two SLW's and $2.39 for my BR. But, I had figured out for the max number I could have, it was much cheaper than the $2 each, plus $45 shipping!

I guess it just depends on how many chicks you're getting as to which is a better deal...

Local feed store can be a good deal, just remember to add the local tax to the chick price.
If you like the chicks you get, you may not get the same hatchery from prior year.

Mail order is good with larger quantity. 100 or more.

Less is not very cost effective.
Usually no tax added.

Just my .02

At certain times of the year some hatcheries offer fantastic deals on their CXs. I don't remember exactly when, I guess during typical off-peak seasons. Now that spring is coming I guess EVERYone wants chicks & the hatcheries can price accordingly. You could ask on the Meat Birds Etc section, more folks there order the CXs & would know more about these deals. It might be better for you to order less now & get more during those sales.

Another thing to consider is to pool together with a few people in your area, maybe other BYC members, to place a large & more economical order yourselves.

woot.gif
MtHealthy 100 jumbo cornish rocks $134 including shipping ... That's awesome .. just $1.34 ea.

Back
Top Bottom