So it finally happened..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NYRIR, May 17, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    The DH was flipping tonight because of the feed we've been through. We have a laying flock of 40 chickens,15 full grown ducks,6 brooding ducklings,19 brooding turkey poults, 44 meat birds and a bantam flock of 15. We bought 100.00 worth of feed this week. I keep telling him we KNEW this was gonna be expensive this year because we also had to build coops/runs for the turkeys and meat birds. I do try to supplement with scraps too and BOSS as well.Also,our laying flock is free range.I don't "measure" the feed out for the ducks...and they are probably a bit robust. [​IMG] Any suggestions on what to say to him to calm the nerves? Or how to cut the bill without culling birds I don't want to? I mean,44 birds will be eaten,and several of the ducks too.The turkeys will be a while yet,but we plan on keeping 8 of them...not 19!The bantam flock will be down to 10. The biggest problem is I'm not selling enough eggs....I've gotta post on CL......
    Anyway, I'm just ranting...thanks for listening .....

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You could ration out feed, it's more work but less waste. Give smaller amounts and don't re-feed until they've eaten it all, including what they spilled on the ground.

I feel your pain, those meaties eat a ton, plus all those turkeys! Keep going with the scraps, can you free range anyone but the layers?

Do you have anywhere you can buy in bulk, like a mill, locally?

Get on the ball selling those eggs!

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    One good thing is my meaties are DP not Cornishx...whew! No,I can't free-range them all,sadly.I wish I could just for quality of life for them.I am not aware of any feed mills locally but will be looking it up. Yes, I am going to be selling eggs for whatever I can get for them...just need to advertise.I have been working full time but am about to go part-time so I'll have more time to try and market.But at the same time, less income...lol...what can you do? He says he's not threatening to make me get rid of any...guess he's just shocked at how much they can eat [​IMG]

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    When DW breaks my shoes about the feed bill I resort to "It's for the grandkids", not for them to eat but for the enjoyment they get from the birds, and the enjoyment I get spending time with my grandkids here at Pop Pop Day Care.

5. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG] I like that! I would try that except...he knows I'm the one with the poultry obsession! Of course, the youngest two are pretty close behind me on that [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Maybe bring up the cost of his hobbies? (I know, not helping much)

7. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Quote:Eek! They'll wind up in marriage counseling!

8. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG] I have happened to mention that....the more chickens I keep...the more tools he needs to buy to build things for them ...and that my chicken collecting is kinda like his tools.... [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    From a refrigerator magnet: The biggest difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

10. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    My husband does this once in while as well. Especially with our goats. However, I point out to him that organic eggs in our local store are $6 per dozen and I would need to buy about 3 dozen a week. Same with organic milk. It is $7.50 per gallon in our store and we use 2 gallons per week. While it might actually cost more to feed the animals, the products they give are far superior. I have seen goat's milk advertised for $15 per gallon. Once our new chicks start laying and I get my egg, jam and soap selling back up and running, he will shut up. I will be taking all the money I make and putting it into stocking up on feed for the slow times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by