So Much For Slowing Down Production!

TaraBellaBirds

Songster
6 Years
Jul 13, 2013
SW Kansas
My 16 laying hens were hatched in April of this year and since laying have been pretty consistent. I have been getting 8 to 10 eggs a day. So I was expecting a drop in production, even though I have breeds that are supposed to lay through the Winter. They did slow down with the first cold snap, there was about 3 days where I got 6 to 7.
Well we got our first snow so we turned on our lamp to heat the coop a bit, mostly for the younger pullets. The first two days of the snow I was back up to 9 to 10 each day but they did not step foot on that nasty white stuff!! Yesterday was the first day they actually got brave enough to go out and forage a bit! I got 6 eggs in the morning and 6 more that evening!!!

How are your girls handling the cold?

Birds in their first year will usually lay just fine through winter. It's the 2nd year that you will see a drastic reduction in eggs as they molt. I have 40 hens/pullets of all ages and am getting 3 eggs a day. About 12 pullets have not started laying yet.

Mine don't like snow, but lucky for them, we don't get a lot of it.

Birds in their first year will usually lay just fine through winter. It's the 2nd year that you will see a drastic reduction in eggs as they molt. I have 40 hens/pullets of all ages and am getting 3 eggs a day. About 12 pullets have not started laying yet.

Mine don't like snow, but lucky for them, we don't get a lot of it.
idunno.gif
Three eggs a day for 40 hens????? I guess I will have to rely on my yearly additions for winter eggs! I sell, and my customer base is expanding daily! I researched good winter layers just for this reason, even if I had to give up year-round production. I have RIR's, BJG, BR, BO, and several different types of pullets!
Our winters get pretty cold and sometimes we get a ridiculous amount! With 40 hens you must sell eggs too, how do you make up for that lose in production?

Back
Top Bottom