SO much mud and poop from my ducks! how to manage it?

The more space they have, better grass they will leave behind. Ducks will constantly move, searching for food. They will evenly distribute their demolishing and if they have enough space, you won't be able to notice any damage, not even around the pond or their pool. Chickens do much more damage than ducks, but if their space is not large enough, they both destroy the grass.
You can widen their space as much as possible (or as much as needed), then close the damaged area so that they won't be able to play in the mud and sow grass. It should take three weeks or so in mid spring for the grass to take off, but usually when it's 10 cm tall and thick enough, ducks won't be able to destroy it, so you can open that area for them as well. You can cover it with garden cloth if the ducks start showing too much interest in that area.

I’m my experience with just 2pekins, they need more room! I had them in about 10x6 foot pen initially and nearly died when it became a hell hole of mud and poop within a month! I though I was going to have to re-home!

Now they have a 10metre by 4metre day run, and free range of my 1/4 acre block by night, while the 10 chooks are safe from my rampaging hormonal Drake!

We couldn’t be happier! And My yard looks green and lush except where the chooks have dug craters the size of the moon ;)

What we have done. We put gravel down with sand over top in areas and sidewalk blocks for easy hosing. I try to Dump kiddie pools at night so the puddles are soaked in before the drilling crew are out.
Ducks are so messy although I am addicted..

I am not familiar with redwood mulch. Letting my imagination work with this, I can assume that it is dyed. And even if not died, it may be treated with a flame retardant as one fellow found the case to be when his chickens had access to playground mulch. His eggs were tainted with a heavy chemical taste and scent. Who would imagine that such poison would be put into playground mulch where children play? If you buy a processed mulch product of any kind, you should check with the manufacturer to be sure there are no dyes or other chemical additives.

In such a small yard, I can't imagine having 4 birds and any semblance of lawn. Fence them out of any thing you don't want destroyed or killed. I have 4 acres, and when my flock of 30 goes out to play, they poop profusely in the walking paths. (this, when they have thousands of non path square feet!) They also choose prime lawn spots to dig their dust baths.

I am not familiar with redwood mulch. Letting my imagination work with this, I can assume that it is dyed. And even if not died, it may be treated with a flame retardant as one fellow found the case to be when his chickens had access to playground mulch. His eggs were tainted with a heavy chemical taste and scent. Who would imagine that such poison would be put into playground mulch where children play? If you buy a processed mulch product of any kind, you should check with the manufacturer to be sure there are no dyes or other chemical additives.

In such a small yard, I can't imagine having 4 birds and any semblance of lawn. Fence them out of any thing you don't want destroyed or killed. I have 4 acres, and when my flock of 30 goes out to play, they poop profusely in the walking paths. (this, when they have thousands of non path square feet!) They also choose prime lawn spots to dig their dust baths.
I thought OP was referring to mulch made from Coast Redwood (a type of tree). But if referring to red colored mulch then I would agree not to use that. I would also agree that any mulch should be checked for chemicals.

I had xeriscaping at my old house and preferred the bark mulch but gorilla hair style would work well too. OP, if you want to mulch try to find a place where you can buy by the truck load. Buying by the bag from a big box or hardware store would get pricey.

Back
Top Bottom