So my hubby bought me Ameraucanas but they are EEs.....

I just ordered and received 5 EE's from mypetchicken.com. They are so cute! 1 1/2 weeks old now. Looking forward to some colorful eggs. But I too have been eyeing the blue ameraucanas. They are beautiful! Some day...

We bought Big Bertha from someone on CL who told us she was an ameraucana, but it turns out she's an EE. So she's not a "showbird" or a "standard". She's gorgeous (quite a bit prettier than some of those prize-winning ameraucanas I saw at the state fair, though they were pretty birds as well). She's black and gold with green legs and is developing a black, fuzzy beard. She is standoffish toward human hands but loves treats and enjoys human company and will sit NEXT to me in the yard but not within hand's reach. She likes it that way. She's also the leader of my flock & all the other girls acquiesce to her. When we got the birds, she was the biggest/oldest of the bunch, so the pecking order was fairly easily established with her at the top from the very beginning.

I'm looking forward to seeing what color eggs she lays. Is it true about what they say, "the greener the legs, the bluer the eggs"? I can't remember where I read that, but seems I saw it somewhere.

I have one laying EE - she's the egg mother of my first GrandChick - and 4 juvenile EEs. (One of which is the GrandChick, 'cause her daddy is Carl the EE roo. She looks SO much like her egg mother; she hatched 6/26, and now at six weeks I THINK I can say she's a pullet not a cockerel.) Sexing EEs is so iffy....

But the other 3 juvenile EEs are definitely pullets - whew! - who still have a few months to go before they lay eggs of any color. I am hoping for green, though, like Rebecca's lovely sea foam green eggs.

Rebecca is friendly but not affectionate. She likes to be NEAR me, but isn't all that keen about being picked up. She sings the longest Egg Song - I have a 3 minute recording of her singing it!

The greener the legs, the bluer the eggs? Oh goodie! Mine have green legs.

Also one is white, is this a common EE color or is it a sign my EE are a cross between an Ameraucana and something white? The other three are the more beautiful multi-color brown. I don't know the name of that one. There doesn't seem to be any official EE website like there are for most breeds. Anyone have suggestions for me? I'd like to learn what to call these colors I have besides whitish and pretty brown.

How many different breeds lay green eggs?? I have a big red/brown hen that lays large green eggs and she is a friendly girl.
64332_n_chicks_009.jpg

64332_0803002031.jpg

Quote:
There are a few really good EE threads that you can check out. I've listed them in order of which is largest. My favorites are the first two threads. I love the idea of thread #2...cause it is so fun to see how each bird changes from chick to pullet/cockeral to hen/roo.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=273489&p=120

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=308323&p=17

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=361185&p=13

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=342451&p=8

We need pics of your EE's...please?!?

HI, I love them no matter what people call them........
wink.png

If EE makes someone else feel better.....................then they should go for it.
I hatched a few this year that I knew were cross breeds..they came out so beautiful.
Three lovely pullets, one black, one blue with a black head and neck,one a SLW cross showing the SL color.....so cute with thier little fuzzy faces............... all have green legs. don't know egg color yet..........
And I am not going to tell them they are easter eggers...............just beautiful chickens..........
I'll post pictues when I figure out the system......took one yesterday with all three looking at the camera.............

Quote:
Then you got exactly what you wanted. Ameraucanas are supposed to lay ONLY blue or maybe turquoise eggs. Not exactly muliticolor. EE are all 'mixed up' so they can lay any color egg- white tan, brown green, dark green, turquoise, blue.. a lot lay light green or tan eggs though, turquoise are represented in fair numbers.

Leg color has zero to do with egg color.

Back
Top Bottom