So my hubby bought me Ameraucanas but they are EEs.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by savingdogs, Aug 6, 2010.

1. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I had been wanting Ameraucanas and my husband responded to a Craigs List ad and brought me four pullets from someone who buys hatchery chicks and raises them on free-range and then sells them at various ages.

So after doing my research and not finding their colors under the Ameraucana registry, I see they are clearly EEs.

What I wanted them for, however, was to have beautiful multi-color eggs, so I'm not unhappy. But I wonder how many of you are in this club with me now? How do you feel now about having EEs?
  2. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I've been really happy with my EE's, which I bought knowing they were EE's. Sweet birds, pretty and good layers.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I only have one EE and she's a sweetheart. She's tame and jumps in my lap when sitting out in the yard and 'chats' to me, she follows me everywhere too. She lays large blue/green eggs. Right now though she's stopped laying due to the extreme heat we're having.
  4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

These four seem very friendly! I don't know the names of the colors, but one is creamy white and the others are that reddish brown type with the feathers that have the different colors. Very beautiful young birds. I see why my husband thought they were the right kind, they are very pretty. They still made a nice present even though they are not Ameraucanas.

I wonder if I will still get easter eggers if I cross them to my BO roo however? Will I be more likely to get pink eggs from the offspring? My BOs lay pale pinkish-brown eggs.
  5. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Got my first two just like you, off CL advertized as Ameraucanas. I was only a little dissapointed mostly cuz of others attitudes towards my beautiful girls. When first getting hens I was in love with Wyandottes and wanted a bunch of them, but after having a couple of them ... not so much. My EE's, however, have totally captured my heart. I completely love them. I've had them almost a year now and have purchased 6 more EE's from other sources. I have also hatched out some EE's of my own. They are my favorites by a long shot. I love the variety of plumage and egg color, the mystery as to what a chick will look like grown up, their sweetness, curiosity, long necks, penchant for flying, puffy cheeks and funny faces. They are my best layers, not just in color (mine vary widely in color, ie. blue-several greens-cream-light brown-pinkish brown) but also in size and frequency too. Granted, I don't own any egglaying machines like sex-links, but I can recognize and name which hen laid what egg. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to have, say one - maybe two of the real McCoy, probably a Blue Am, but just to strengthen the gene pool, if you know what I mean! Plus, I lust after those blue feathers and need some in my flock.

So, I guess you could say that I celebrate the individuality of EE's! They are awesome!
  6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I love me EEs the are sweet birds. I got my first one purchasing from a hatchery as an Ameraucana as well.
  7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    My EE girls are precious wouldnt trade them for the world but I "made" them at my house-not hatchery
  8. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    I have had both EE's and Ameracauna chickens and really like both. Right now I have some 4H ameracauna that I got from a friend, a few EE and a small flock (9) pure bred Blue Ameracaunas. They are all beautiful birds and easy to take care of. And yes, they all lay easter eggs!! LOL
  9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    My Coop
    I have both, also, and love them both the same. Wouldnt be able to choose between them.
  10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Same here. BTW- there are several reputable ameraucana breeders in WA & OR. You should be able to find the true breed is you still want to add some to your flock. Check the breeders club website for a list in your area:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by