So my husband has me figured out...

My DH is not an animal person whatsoever, but he tolerates all of mine (most of the time). When I said I wanted chickens, he just rolled his eyes. But when I got back from a trip, he had me a coop built
smile.png
. I think he has only walked to the coop twice to see the chickens. But since Aug. I have had 3 chickens in the dining room nursing them back to health. He really did not say anything other then " chickens sure are messy" LOL

Quote:
Yeah, this finally occurred to my husband recently. So, he bought me a Roomba (pet edition) to clean the house while I am outside admiring my chickens.
woot.gif

I LOVE my husband!

do you like it? does it work good?

Mine likes to hold Prissy, she'll hop into his lap and talk to him, I think she's the only reason he likes them. He grabbed Rooster to hold him, but that didn't go over as well for either of them. It was hilarious! Jibbers came running over to me talking up a storm in rooster speak and hopped into my lap.

He was a little bit excited over the eggs starting, and said when we get our land I can have atleast 20, 18 girls and 2 boys. Or more, depending on the space. He wants me to sell eggs and hatch chicks! Even bought me another incubator.

He's a vegitarian that'll eat meat products but not meat itself, unless it came from organic happy animals. He says I can have beef steers if I promise not to name them and get too attached. (course HE might get attached to them and we'll have pet steers)
roll.png
I told him it's possible to keep a bull and 2-4 cows, and eat the babies after they grow out, so that we can be attached to the heard, but subsequent animals not so much. LOL

He's slowly but surely becoming a countrified city boy! Saying we NEED 10 acres at least, several of these animals, some of those.. and a garden of course.. and all sorts of stuff. It's funny, because before he met me he had never so much as laid eyes on a chicken with feathers still on it. Or cows, or horses, or goats... but I got him into horseback riding, a steer at a petting zoo stuck it's slobbery nose into his armpit (hilarious!) and he has a favorite chicken. He really likes goofing off with goats, we'll go visit a children's farm that works under the park district just so we can play with their animals until we have our own.

Mine says he just sees them as food, but every time I talk about culling one of them he comes up with reasons we shouldn't.
We have a cockerel that we got for free about 2-3 months ago that has been a big pain in the butt. He has bumblefoot and gets an impacted crop often had internal parasites (gape worm I think) plus I think he may be retarted. Well, it's getting colder out and his only shelter is a small dog kennel with a tarp over it. He has to be kept separate because of his feet. I was talking about putting him down because we already have a roo and he takes so much extra care and attention. So, he cleans out some room in the garage so he will be out of the weather and we can keep a better eye on him.
Also, have an EE who hasn't layed an egg for atleast a month. Other than that she seems perfectly healthy. I gave her cayenne pepper for three days and still nothing. So, I was going to put her down to make room for a hen that will lay eggs. He says we should wait until spring and see.
He says they are just food to him but I think he secretly likes them too.
big_smile.png

My DH knows that I prefer to be outside doing anything - work or fun. It's TRUE I would rather muck a stall or clean the poop board than clean the bathroom. The most boring day is when I'm stuck in the house - I have to be really sick. I'm so glad I taught him how to cook well!

But it was his idea to get a FEW chickens, I got 39, just a couple of extras, right. I mean I did have to sell 6 cockerals. And I sold 8 hens. This way my net cost for the birds only was $28. Oh I forgot I just got some one else's packing peanuts (7 RIRs) for free. I wonder if I could sell them for $28. Seems a little high for 2 week olds. DH spent over $1,600 on the 2 coops. He likes them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, this finally occurred to my husband recently. So, he bought me a Roomba (pet edition) to clean the house while I am outside admiring my chickens.
woot.gif

I LOVE my husband!

do you like it? does it work good?

Sorry to hi-jack this thread with this but I LOVE my Roobma. They can have issues but it's sooooo nice to come home to a clean floor everyday. It has settings, like an alarm clock, so I set it to vacuum while we are at work. My Roomba runs 3 days a week. It isn't too fond of people with long hair (I have to clean the brushes every two weeks). You will be amazed at the volume of dust and dead skin crud that it picks up everyday. I thought that it was beucase I only vaccumed my old carpet once a week (pre-Roobma) well we got new carpet and it still picks up just as much dust and dead skin (kinda makes ya feel like a dirty person). We rarely open our windows (allergies) and have central air and heat so the "dust" is just a natural occurance.
wink.png

It was my SO's idea to get chickens but I fell in love with the chicks and I soon became known as chicken mama. SO says I spend waaaay too much time with the chickens. He's just jealous! I don't think he gave them much thought at all until they scratched up a rather large section of his oh so manicured lawn
bow.gif
, now they have been banished from the yard and must stay in the run! Mean chicken daddy!

My DH even brags to his friends how clever some of the chickens are and how wonderful my roo is. He does this the whole time acting like they're just egg factories and "her" pets. Meanwhile he's beaming and knows all his chicky-poos names. Everyday he goes and throws bread and seed off the deck to them and tells them "You kids give me some eggs and maybe we can talk about a can of peas!" He'll scrape some of the left overs into a bowl and say "The chickens'll probably like that." He'll fill the water and food. But..."they are her stupid pets" He loves them!! Just can't be a guy if you admit it though.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom