So, my run stinks. literally.

That run size would work for 13 birds, although just barely. Enlarge the coop/ covered area and incorporate roosts. A few thick branches can make roosts and a tarp can be used to provide cover for now until you are able to build a more sufficient coop with supplies like plywood and lumber.
i have roosts, but the coop is too small. i knew that from the start, but i never expected 13 chickens

i have roosts, but the coop is too small. i knew that from the start, but i never expected 13 chickens
Think outside the box too save money. You just need to provide shade, wind protection and rain protection. A tarp and a few sticks and zip ties and there you have it.

and during the day, let them free-range
Plywood for roosts... roosts are thin, think a thick branch or a 2x2 or 2x4 board. Plywood would be great as poop boards under the roosts though, which helps you collect the pool and keep it of the ground. Add sand to the poop boards and you clean them like a litter box.

Plywood for roosts... roosts are thin, think a thick branch or a 2x2 or 2x4 board. Plywood would be great as poop boards under the roosts though, which helps you collect the pool and keep it of the ground. Add sand to the poop boards and you clean them like a litter box.
yeah, ok. that was a dumb idea. how about 1 inch by 4-5 feet? i will sketch some designs! i am super exited! do you think it will work?

can you please tell me what those accommodations are? that may help.

our yard is 5 acres, and just "Eyeballing it" it looks as if my run is about 13 by 10 feet or so.
My accommodations will not work in your coop, it's way too small. I have a roost along one wall that's 15 x 72" long; half the birds, the younger ones, roost there. The remaining birds, the older ones, roost on a pallet, 4' x 6', that is against the other wall. There is a space of about 2' separating these two roosts. Nobody is crowded. If they want to snuggle, they do. If they want to space themselves apart, they can. There is no bullying or feather-pecking. This is not an ideal set-up, there are problems with it and I don't recommend it, but it works for now.

My accommodations will not work in your coop, it's way too small. I have a roost along one wall that's 15 x 72" long; half the birds, the younger ones, roost there. The remaining birds, the older ones, roost on a pallet, 4' x 6', that is against the other wall. There is a space of about 2' separating these two roosts. Nobody is crowded. If they want to snuggle, they do. If they want to space themselves apart, they can. There is no bullying or feather-pecking. This is not an ideal set-up, there are problems with it and I don't recommend it, but it works for now.
so, will turning the whole thing into a coop work?

Back
Top Bottom