So, my run stinks. literally.

the coop is about 1 x 4 feet. very small, but most of them sleep on the top of the coop regardless.
I'm sorry, but that is only adequate for one hen. Each hen needs 4 square feet. What is the weather like where you are? Will it get cold this winter? Will it get wet and snow? That is nowhere adequate for 13 hens sleeping on top of that all winter. What protection do they have from predators?

I'm sorry, but that is only adequate for one hen. Each hen needs 4 square feet. What is the weather like where you are? Will it get cold this winter? Will it get wet and snow? That is nowhere adequate for 13 hens sleeping on top of that all winter. What protection do they have from predators?
4 square feet? per hen? are we talking about the run, or the coop?

they have metal fencing stacked about 5-6 feet tall wrapped around a bunch of thick wood poles, and it never has snowed

Four square feet per hen in the coop. Ten per hen, minimum, in the run.
that's like a chicken mansion! holy :eek:

ten? ten square feet? per hen? i might as well let them free range!
Thank you. You can put that in your profile if you'd like. Then it's always there.
nah. i prefer places, so not just anybody can see. but thank you for all of your help

the soil is mostly clay, with tons of minerals.
if it rains, it stays cold and wet for 3 days at least. i really need that thing covered. and no, water evaporates very fast around here. it stays puddle-ey for a day or two tops.
So it sounds like existing drainage isn't very good then - are there any added drains or trenches around the run? Short of actual flooding, my uncovered run drains within hours - obviously that's not possible in all situations but that's more of what you want to aim for with a combination of drains/litter that promotes drainage.

Four square feet per hen in the coop. Ten per hen, minimum, in the run.
x2. Though you said the run is the "stinky," I have to imagine the coop has issues too, no? Or are none of the birds using it?

Your coop is so small for the number of birds that it would actually be illegal in my area, it's below commercial standards.

Back
Top Bottom