so now im freaking out!

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
ugh! we got 4 new baby chicks today! our first 5 are from tsc and they were a week old, well these new babies are a day old!!!! omg they are so much more tiny and fragile!!! im freaking out that we will kill them!! the kids want to hold them and love them but im afraid they will smuch them!! so are 1 day olds any different that 1 week olds? any thing more special they need?

Just a little common sense - watch any younger children and help them if they are handling the chicks, short play time, long rest times for the chicks, etc

And be sure to keep them warm!

Have fun with the chicks

When my kids were little and now with the grandkids if they want to hold the chicks they have to sit on the floor and we put a towel over their laps and then they can hold them in their lap and pet them on the head and back.

I don't let my grandkids hold day olds...week olds yes, they they sit on the floor like Katy says with a towel over their laps and I supervise...no longer than 15 minutes if that..

Aww so tiny! Are you putting the new ones in with the older ones? And if so how are they doing? Or using a separate brooder? My chicks that I"m hatching out will be a week younger then the ones I get from Ideal so I'm wondering.

I keep new day old chicks in a seperate brooder even if the others are only a week older. After the new ones get going good then I'll try putting them together if I need the brooder space. I usually add the older ones to the younger ones so that they're the ones in the new area. I think it helps cut down on the older picking on the younger.

i wasnt planning on just letting the kids hold them all willie-nellie!! lol, i was just thinking ok, we held our one week olds,and they seemed so much bigger! yes i have them in a seperate brooder, my other chicks are five weeks and i think they will be making the move outside very soon. so what about in a few months when they are all old enough to be outside? are the bigger, older chicks going to beat the crap out of the smaller ones?

Back
Top Bottom