So picky!

annep

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
The other day, I was moving some plants in pots, and under them were a bunch of cut worms and rolly pollies..I gathered them up and tried to feed them to my chickens...They wouldn't eat them! I couldnt believe it! They did eat a spider though...They wont eat lettuce, or many things my old chickens went nuts for...These gals are so picky!!

My girls love crickets & mealworms.... but they won't touch roly poly bugs either.
hu.gif

I wonder what would happen if we cut down their feed? hhmmm...they are backyard chickens, and I dig them up all kinds of stuff..I keep the ground wet, then turn it over and let them get the worms, etc. that are in the soil...the only thing is with that, we've already noticed that their shells are getting weaker because we forgot to put the oystershell in their feed...hhmm..guess that wont work. thanks!

Quote:
You have strange chickens if they won't eat the bugs! My chickens prefer the bugs from the gooey things like worms and slugs, but they love them all.

Do you give them grit separately to their feed? If it doesn't already have oyster shell in it that's where you should put it.
Also, you can feed them eggshell, from their own eggs, to help them get back the calcium they lose everyday. You have to boil the eggs, or the shell will still have raw egg on it which will encourage your chickens to eat their eggs once they've laid them. But my chickens fight over egg shells, they seem to love them xD Give them whole pieces, not crushed up shell - they like to throw it around and peck at it
smile.png

Good luck with your fussy chicks!

Mine don't like roly polys either. Or certain beetles. Or ants. OMG I wish they loved ants, as many fire ants as we've got! I'm guessing the formic acid that hurts when they sting is present when they eat them or something.

They'll go nuts over grubs and june bugs though.

my girls want any of the creepy crawlies you find in the ground to the point that if i pick up thhe shovel they follow me around squawking at me until i put it down and walk away pr dig them up something......but turn their noses up at breads and most lettuces. found some grubs in the garden yesterday and thought i was going to loose an arm or at least a finger trying to feed them to the girls they were so impaitent.....guess i should just drop them in a pile and run hahaha

Back
Top Bottom