So sad and so so so very preventable - auto's & cell phones don't mix

Mutitasking is a myth created and perpetrated by corporate America. There are many studies that show "multitasking" creates far more problems. The phones in cars drive me nuts. Everyone I know, knows that if I'm driving I will NOT answer it and to leave a message. Just a few weeks ago, a lady at the bank backed into me in a parking lot line, and she was on her phone! There was absolutely no damage, but I did tell her that what she was doing was needless and stupid and that next time she might kill herself, or worse, someone else. It's just not worth the risk! Even those ear piece "blue tooth" thingys are NOT safe. You are just as distracted focusing on listening.

Quote:
You are SO VERY wrong!!!

Every single day I encounter someone yapping away - driving like they are the ONLY person on the road (moving in 75 mph, thick, rush hour, highway traffic) or worse, in town at lights with cars stopping, starting, turning... Today I witnessed a near miss due to a cell phone talking Lexus driver - she pulled out right in front of a SUV who literally went on two wheels briefly to avoid the collision... and she drove on and probably never even noticed the catastrophe narrowly avoided. The skid marks were 20 feet long behind her.

Last week, one of these (BMW cell phone talker) pulled out in front of me causing me to screech breaks and lay on my horn. She flipped me off! Like I had done something to inconvenience her!

These people need to be rounded up and put in re-education centers till they can learn THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY PEOPLE ON THE PLANET!

Ten years ago I got rear ended by a 17 year old who was talking on a cell phone, while trying to switch CDs in his dash player. I was at a dead stop behind three cars on a 2-lane road, the head car waiting to make a left turn into a driveway. The kid hit us at a speed of 45 MPH. Every car in the line was impacted. (Mine was total lossed. The engine flipped out of the front end and was standing up on end. The contents of the trunk wound up in the front seat with us!) The kid came out of his truck and came to my window in a panic (I had birds circling my head at the time) and he asked if I was okay. I looked at him in a daze and said "No..."

He then walked away without a word to me, swearing and kicked his badly damaged truck - swearing at it - like the truck was at fault!!

We all need to do a better job of understanding personal responsibility. And it starts by setting an example for our kids by NOT TALKING, Texting, or being otherwise engaged in ANYTHING while driving.

This stuff is so far out of hand, it is completely ridiculous.

Did anyone catch that last part? The part that says the truck driver wasn't hurt and won't be facing any charges... What's up with that? It obviously wasn't his fault, so why would they feel that they should say that?
I do feel sorry for the family who lost their daughter at a young age (parents shouldn't have to bury their children), unfortunately it continues to happen with teenagers and adults who feel it necessary to carry on a conversation on the phone while driving. I also feel sorry for the truck driver, I'm sure he feels bad about the accident (I'm sure it's a hard thing for someone who is probably a parent himself to sleep at night).

Two years ago, we had a 17 year old girl driving home for lunch reading a text. She went in the ditch and flipped 5 times. The windshield had fallen out and they couldn't find her. There were no witnesses and they thought she may have wandered away in a daze. They did a sweep search and found her about 15 minutes later. She had flown through the windshield.

The volunteer firefighter that found her was also a coach at the school of 400 k-12. He was also the drivers ed teacher and had trained her. He did a eulogy for her at graduation. Broke down and had to leave the stage. It was very sad. Graduating class was 21 instead of 22 that year.

I was stopped at a red light. The driver of the car behind me was a lady with a cell phone stuck to her ear. She hit me in the rear end, not once - but TWICE !! I pulled off the road to get out to check for any damage and I motioned her to pull over as well. She flipped me off, drove away, still with the cell phone stuck to her ear.

Cell phones are a menace. I've never had one - never will.

No, I didn't get the plate #. I was out of my car and never dreamed she would not pull over. I did call the police and report the kind of car and color, but nothing ever came of it. No wonder I rarely leave my property and would rather spend time with my dogs and chickens !!

Back
Top Bottom