So....talk about.....CANCER SUPPORT THREAD !!

I think alot of times I loose sight of the now. Mom is so far away and not really "present" in mind when I talk to her. I found myself reading the list of things earlier in the thread and telling myself that it is not her fault she can't stay awake on the phone. She was running a fever this weekend but we attribute that to the chemo shot. She has a little break from radiation so she is doing alot of resting. All of you have such a positive mind set about this. I am trying my hardest to adopt that kind of mind set and I am always the first to tell my mom that just because they say she has a year does not mean she can't live longer. They are just making an educated guess. They are not God.

My mom had six months 14 years ago. She is still around. They really do not know.

The next doctor she had said that, 'anyone of us could die in a car accident on our way home. We do not know the future, so let's just worry about what is immediately in front of us." I liked him. I think about that all the time.

Never pass up an opportunity to hug your kid and to give them praise, or to appreciate your spouse, or a neighbor, or a friend. Regret is the worst of all feelings.

My mom had six months 14 years ago. She is still around. They really do not know.

The next doctor she had said that, 'anyone of us could die in a car accident on our way home. We do not know the future, so let's just worry about what is immediately in front of us." I liked him. I think about that all the time.

Never pass up an opportunity to hug your kid and to give them praise, or to appreciate your spouse, or a neighbor, or a friend. Regret is the worst of all feelings.
A few months ago while talking with her oncologist, we asked about the medical outlook/timeline. He looked at us and said, "well, going by the statistics you should have died 6 years ago"..... LOL

That all being said, the chemo infusion she received a week ago was (by our best guestimate) #168. Yes, 168 times she has gotten an infusion. It's starting to get harder for her. Most of the past week was spent in bed, though she did go outside to the chickens once for a few minutes.

I think alot of times I loose sight of the now. Mom is so far away and not really "present" in mind when I talk to her. I found myself reading the list of things earlier in the thread and telling myself that it is not her fault she can't stay awake on the phone. She was running a fever this weekend but we attribute that to the chemo shot. She has a little break from radiation so she is doing alot of resting. All of you have such a positive mind set about this. I am trying my hardest to adopt that kind of mind set and I am always the first to tell my mom that just because they say she has a year does not mean she can't live longer. They are just making an educated guess. They are not God.
Its easy to get down if we let ourselves. Even those of us who are caregivers need time to re-focus and gather our strength to be supportive. Even if you get down, get back up. Even when things are going badly for the ones we love, they rely on our support. Go off by yourself, have a good cry, feel sorry for yourself and the patient, then suck it up and carry on. Not always easy, but something we need to do.

Update on hubby - He's been in the hospital since last Sunday. Developed pneumonia, his system is very compromised....they did a culture on his sputum - MRSA. Gad, could it get any worse? Anyone entering his room has to put the gloves, gown & mask on. :( He's in a lot of pain (throat) lots of drugs..... Radiologist keeps calling...when is he coming back for treatment? WTH. They don't even have him up & walking around yet! BUT the antibiotic through IV is working for him, so it's day by day right now.

I've lost 12 lbs just running around back & forth to see him & eating whatever I have handy on the fly. I try not to tell him what I manage to eat since I feel bad for him not being able to eat normally. So we pretend his canned stuff is whatever he wants it to be. He still has 2 more rounds of chemo and lots more radiation treatments.

It's gonna be a LONG ROAD for us.

Crimmies. That's ... I can't write it without being censored.
It stinks. These things should not be happening to people.
I simply do not know what to say. I will keep you and your husband in my thoughts and try to convince the cosmic waves to let up a bit on you all.
Mrsa? really? How did that happen? don't they own an autoclave? geesh.
Are they reusing their gloves or something? I'd be ticked. You are probably too tired to be angry. Pretend they are a drum. or a drum is them or something. MRSA!?

Update on hubby - He's been in the hospital since last Sunday. Developed pneumonia, his system is very compromised....they did a culture on his sputum - MRSA. Gad, could it get any worse? Anyone entering his room has to put the gloves, gown & mask on. :( He's in a lot of pain (throat) lots of drugs..... Radiologist keeps calling...when is he coming back for treatment? WTH. They don't even have him up & walking around yet! BUT the antibiotic through IV is working for him, so it's day by day right now.

I've lost 12 lbs just running around back & forth to see him & eating whatever I have handy on the fly. I try not to tell him what I manage to eat since I feel bad for him not being able to eat normally. So we pretend his canned stuff is whatever he wants it to be. He still has 2 more rounds of chemo and lots more radiation treatments.

It's gonna be a LONG ROAD for us.

MRSA. Pneumonia. Ginny, SOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry for these added worries. Hope it's resolved soon. Please try to take care of yourself - eat, rest, breathe, so you can stay strong. If you get sick, things will really get to a whole new level of complicated. Pace yourself. I know, easier said than done. Get some Orgain nutritional shakes - so easy on the fly and they actually are good. I love the Iced Mocha. Finally got my dad to drink the chocolate... (can DH have fluids? Orgain is helping a lot of sick people. p.s. I don;t work for them
smile.png
but researched and researched till I found something that I thought could help my dad) Hugs, JJ

Thanks Jan & Judy. I'm hanging in there. He's getting some strength back. Antibiotics worked for both things. He's got swollen feet from inactivity....also a bedsore on his butt....yeesh.

When we first got home, he went (with the walker) to use the bathroom....he fell down and I couldn't get him up on his feet, a dead weight. Had to call 911 for assistance....taking it one day at a time. Go Tues to Oncologist to see if we start up again with #2 treatment. Anyone else with an interesting summer?????

Judy - thanks for the info on Orgain - lots of protein! I may have to do some shopping. :) He gets all his food through the G tube. He can't swallow. He had a shot of vodka in the tube too
tongue.png

My mom lost her battle with cancer yesterday. she fought long and hard. My heart breaks but is eased with the knowledge that now she is pain free and living with God in heaven. Good luck to all of you that are still fighting the struggle. I will pray for all of you.

Back
Top Bottom