So the 250lb dead deer refuses to load itself.....

Quote:
I call it BAMBI SYNDROME....too many anti hunters or squeamish, as someone else said. Too much land development.... I can go on.

On a chicken forum, half heartedly discussing deer, you will have to excuse my obvious "ignorance" seeing it is causing you both severe pain LOL! My pet peeve is people who take things way to seriously but I will let it pass:lol:

No reason to get upset.....correct it and let it go....

little things no reason to let it get to you.

like people talk about peacock eggs, peacocks are male peafowl........that like saying rooster eggs. I correct it .........but don't get upset about the little things.

Life is to short. enjoy the BYC Forum .

Our bucks don't get that big - but in CA our summers are really dry, so there's not much eating in the summer other than berries and what they find in people's yards.

I've never tried to drag a 200# buck, but I would think it would be easier on a tarp cuz you could slide it. Now how you get it on the tarp is another issue.
hu.gif

So, how are your muscles feeling today?
lol.png

I was laughing at DH after he saw the deer (next day) I could tell he felt left out!
lol.png
And I scolded them both for not planning this better. We HAVE a tractor with a front end loader but it was in the shop the night he brought down this buck.....
roll.png

My arms were fine the next day but y legs were really sore! I couldn't figure out if it was the hauling of the being pinned that did it!!
lau.gif

All I know is I am looking forward to some venison steaks! I earned 'em!

In most areras a buck is very lucky to make it to 2.5 years of age. When I lived in VA most deer ( bucks) averaged in the 110 lb weight range field dressed. mainly 2 year olds and younger because everyone had the "If its brown its down" attitude. I have hunted all my life and the largest in VA was 212 lbs field dressed. He was an old buck that was on private land. Here in Northern Idaho they live long enough to die from old age. The large bodied deer I have taken here was 336 field dress. His mount is in theis pic and he doesn't look that size but antlers are small for his body size.

22800x600_1.jpg

Quote:
Nice one! How many pts?

I wonder if many people know that there are many sub-species of whitetail deer. And if I remember correctly, the colder climates have the much larger species because they need to keep warm.

This story puts me to mind of a ride with my brother. We're driving along, and he points to a hanging valley well up on the nearby mountain, and he says "I shot my last deer up there". "What, you couldn't find any place farther from the road" just flew out of my mouth. Considering the location, he had to have started butchering it to get it out....silly boy!

If we keep taking all the big racked male deer, would their future generation of sons would have smaller racks?

Out here, people keep saying take MORE bucks so there would be less breeding males to breed the does while others say take more does than bucks because less offspring, less being overpopulated. A buck can breed alot of does than the one that has few does and alot of bucks. The problem I see in taking too many does, not sure if it applies here, that the bucks would harass her to no end to her death or exhausion.

lol.png

I just had to add my mishap with a dead deer. Nowhere near 200 lbs, the buck was found dead in the pasture with an arrow in it's heart. Don't know why the hunter didn't get it-maybe he/she didn't look far enough. Anyway, the carcass needed to be moved as the cows were getting a bit too curious, so I saddled up my cow horse, and brought extra rope as my plan was to drag the carcass to a cow-free area and process it.

Bigshot is good cow horse. At 1500 lbs he has dragged many a calf to safe ground. So, he was amicable about dragging a deer, and knew the job well. Since I couldn't lift the carcass, I tied the rope to its hind legs and cued Bigshot to start pulling. All I had to do was simply walk with the horse (too lazy to climb in the saddle only to have to get down again), and all was going well.

Well, the bull took offense at the removal of the body. Normally as placid as a calf, Black Bart came at a trot to see what was going on in his pasture. He knew Bigshot enough not to bother him so he eyed me.

I slapped my hat at him, and he turned his attention to the dead deer which was still moving across the grass thanks to Bigshot. In a fit of displaced rage, Black Bart attacked the deer. Bigshot stopped and looked at me for direction. I hopped in the saddle and watched the bull go at the deer. He was head butting the carcass as hard as he could. Kneeling on it and slamming his head into the rib cage of the dead animal. He even tried to bite it.

With incredible accuracy for a dead beast, an antler gouged Bart in the eye. The bull bellowed and intensified his attack only to get his head hung in the curve of the antlers of the dead beast. Bart forgot his anger and was now afraid. I urged Bigshot into a canter in the hopes of preventing further injury to the bull. Bart thought the deer was running from him and gave chase. Although this time he didn't get close to the dead deer, he put on a good show for the cows watching in amazement.

Bigshot thought the bull was after him, and momentarily forgot his manners, and bucked one time so high that he jerked the dead deer in the air. The bull stopped to watch the deer get air time and decided to stop the chase. On the other hand, Bigshot charged ahead at a full gallop. Momentarily discombobulated by the buck, I found my balance just as Bigshot rounded the last corner. I dropped my heels, settled my seat bones, and said 'Whoa' in a low voice.

Bigshot heeded the cue by going into a sliding stop in mid turn. His rear end fishtailed sending the carcass shooting past us and into the side of the truck, creating a nice size dent. Once there, the deer neatly folded his legs and lowered his head to the ground as if he fell asleep.

Never could get the insurance company to believe this story.

Back
Top Bottom