1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

so this is a little annoying and I could use some opinions...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sjmarshall87, Sep 29, 2011.

1. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    So I am sitting in my husbands office on the computer [​IMG] with the windows open.. enjoying the weather when all of a sudden I hear loud clucking (similar to that of the clucking one would hear after an egg is laid). I ran to my front porch to see who was making the noise. One little bird sitting under the office window but with nothing to show for all the noise.. I have looked and looked.. there is NOWHERE around the area of the clucking to hide an egg.. [​IMG] is it possible to lay the egg in a completely different location from the place they make their announcement? [​IMG]

Its a RIR around 25 wks if this helps any.. she DOES have redness to her wattles and comb

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    sometimes they make noises like that even when there isn't any egg to show for their efforts. Sometimes I'm convinced they just like to hear themselves "sing" and there aren't even any efforts to be announcing. Mine will make those noises also if someone else is in the nest box and they want in. Usually they do it in the coop, but sometimes they will come out of the coop and do it in the run too.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sometimes they just don't want to SHUT UP!!! [​IMG] They "sing" and "sing" for no reason whatsoever. I still haven't figured out why it's called the "egg song" - with my chickens it's either an "egg scream" or a "I just want to hear myself scream" song!

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    My Black Star is the lead girl of 6 and she screams when she is startled by an airplane or the next door neighbor lets the door slam shut and I swear something shot out of her to make that sound. She is the most vocal out of the crew also.

Steve

5. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have a brown leghorn who isn't laying yet, but she goes into the coop and checks out the nest boxes. When she sees other eggs in there, she starts singing the egg song. For 45 minutes. I call it the "someone ELSE laid an egg" song. She stops if I collect the eggs. [​IMG]

6. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    Quote:[​IMG] thats adorable! She knows whats supposed to happen with those! Well I guess I am glad I am not the only one with silly chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by