So, we are going to get a couple chicks soon, and our local feed & seed store has Barnevelders, and Barred Rocks soon, which kind should I get?

As temping as it is to pick based on color, and let's face it, we're all tempted, take the time to research each breed. Get a good idea of their temperament, size, heat or cold tolerance, known health issues, rate of egg laying, etc. Use that information to narrow down the varieties that work best for you, and THEN pick the prettiest ones. :D
So far we've had white leghorns, buff orphingtons, golden laced wyandottes, cuckoo marans (both died as chicks), a pretty black silkie, and another chicken breed I forgot the name of, but the pullet we had was black with like a white comb/crown-like thing. (we called her girl fieri) All died as chicks for various reasons with the exception of the RIRs, White Leghorns, Buff Orphingtons(besides one occasion where a pullet got killed), and Golden Laced Wyandottes. That silkie was beautiful but chirped ALL DAY. She ended up dieing in her sleep one night for an unknown reason.

Last edited:
So far we've had white leghorns, buff orphingtons, golden laced wyandottes, cuckoo marans (both died as chicks), a pretty black silkie, and another chicken breed I forgot the name of, but the pullet we had was black with like a white comb/crown-like thing. (we called her girl fieri) All died as chicks for various reasons with the exception of the RIRs, White Leghorns, Buff Orphingtons(besides one occasion where a pullet got killed), and Golden Laced Wyandottes. That silkie was beautiful but chirped ALL DAY. She ended up dieing in her sleep one night for an unknown reason.
What were the various reasons? Weak stock from the hatchery, disease, kids playing to rough, power outage leading to brooder being too cold, neighbor's cat, mean older birds. Basically, is it something you can fix for the future? That's a lot of chicks to lose. Bummer.

What were the various reasons? Weak stock from the hatchery, disease, kids playing to rough, power outage leading to brooder being too cold, neighbor's cat, mean older birds. Basically, is it something you can fix for the future? That's a lot of chicks to lose. Bummer.
weak stock, probably disease for the silkie, getting trampled to death by other chicks (Cuckoo Marans), or they got put outside too early and got killed by predators. So yes, we can fix most of the issues.

I live in Florida near Ocala. My signature has my breeds. I have several different ones over the years but I do breed for exhibition/showing my birds at poultry shows. Are you looking for a colorful egg basket, lots of eggs. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and depending on what you expect. I would get what you really want if it a pretty chicken, a good layer, dual purpose birds or just colorful eggs. Single comb birds do better in the heat. As long as you can provide plenty of shade for them in the summer months most any breed will adapt. Since you apparently have some birds, I'm sure you have preferences. Again, good luck and have fun...

In the summer months I do have sprinklers in some of the pens that pretty much cover all of the pens to help cool the ground and the birds. Some birds like the sprinkle and others not so much.

Back
Top Bottom