So......what breed would you NOT have again----which ones didn't stick

Probably, no more Speckled Sussex. Their personalities for fine, but the eggs are small. Same size as some Silkie eggs I got thru the mail for hatching.

I think I am done with all hatchery birds. The ones we got at TSC peck very hard. They are only nice when its food time or treats. for now on I am sticking with hatching eggs from BYC'ers.

well.. we haven't had a lot of different birds, but, I really don't like the black sex link.. she is fine layer, but she is almost two now and has ftaken to pecking me when i feed.. have tried different things to stop her.. she just doesn't learn..

Moved her to different coop today.. i don't have to go in this one to feed..

I also am not real impressed with the Isa Brown/red sexlink/redstar sexlink.. last spring I bought a bunch of them for friends.. all theirs were friendly hens.. the one i kept for myself is NASTY.. along with the rooster. I bought the roo cause he was so pretty and gentle.. that lasted until he got BIG.. he stands almost 3 ft tall now and he is a brat.. totally.. grin.. the black sexlink joined his coop today.. grin..The red sexlink hen lays well, nice size brown eggs.. but..
NOTHING that moves is safe near their coop.. grin.. they eat snakes, lizards, MICE AND anything they can catch.. it was kind of funny watching the hen chase down a mouse the other day!

I had 2 Standard size Cochins. They were suppossed to be a pair but both ended up as roosters. They were mean to all the hens and crowed all night long. I have a Bantam Cochin rooster that is super sweet but I doubt I would ever get the standard sized ones again. The chickens all all happier now that I sold those 2 roosters and my sleep is greater now that I don't hear those two keeping me up all night. Those 2 chased the guinea fowl and ducks even.

Back
Top Bottom