So what's going in your garden this year?

Well, first off, I live in SoCal and DH puts hoop row covers over our garden in the winter, so we currently have:
broccoli
mesclun lettuce mix
spinach
cauliflower
fennel
carrots
rainbow chard
regular chard
brussel sprouts (that aren't doing so well)
cabbage
romaine lettuce
onions
garlic
parsley
marjoram (annual)
lavendar (annual)

This spring we will plant:
basil
cilantro
dill
thyme (will grown back)
blackberries (will grown back)
tomatoes (several varieties)
grapes (will grown back)
rosemary
peppers (jalapeno, habanero, cayenne, serrano, bell peppers, etc)
zucchini
crookneck squash
pumpkin (late spring/early summer)
corn
beans (green beans and other pole beans)
melons (maybe)
cucumber
mint (will grown back)
oregano (will grown back)

uh....I think that's it. Plus, we have a few fruit trees. (DH LOVES to garden and he is unemployed, so he is already working on expanding the garden for this spring!!
big_smile.png
)

Quote:
Really? I had 6 heirlooms last summer and was swimming in tomatoes. I had Arkansas Traveler, Sub-Arctic Plenty, Yellow Banana, White Currant, German Red Strawberry, and Royal Chico. The best producers were the German, Currant, and Traveler. I had some trouble with blossom end rot on the Banana, but otherwise they were amazing. I put them all in raised beds and mulched with straw. I guess I would pick ones that say productive in the seed description. Good luck
smile.png

Mom and I haven't finished planning, but we know we're doing:

Peppers
Tomatoes
Corn
Cucumbers

I'll be doing a second year of limited veggies:

potatoes
tomatoes
green beans
bok choi
chinese cabbage
corn
black beauty zucchini
buttercup squash
beets

All except the potatoes will be started in my apt at school and timed so that the cool season stuff can take a 300 mile trip in March, and the warm season stuff can go in May, all they way home to WA. Last year I took back about 200 starts and 3 flats/trays of cool season stuff.

This year I get to use my brand new lighting system to get them off the ground! No more card board boxes to prop up grow lamps.

Quote:
I was going to say that maybe the season is too cold...but you're in a warm area! At least here, many heirloom types just don't get enough heat units to produce anything... to get the short season and even cherry types to give anything, I start them in late Feb, to transplant out in mid to late may.

Back
Top Bottom