So who feeds whole grains as opposed to processed feed?

As for the turnip seed protein content. Rape seed and turnip seeds are both related, same family. Both part of the Brassia family, and well rape seed is canola seed. So it shouldn;t be to hard to find the protein content of canola seed. That would probably a good starting place.

Not certain that helps. Just figured I'd offer that. Hope it might help.

Pretty interesting about protein content on turnip greens though.

Cheers

You are right, I already found plenty on rape seed (they grow a lot of that around here) but since they harvest rape seed for feed and not turnip I am supposing there is a difference . . . I have searched for two days and nothing.

Quote:
hmm.png
Where do you find all these ingreidients? I only have 15 chicks and am a little overwelmed.

Quote:
Where are you located? I am in WI and I just did a google search to find grain suppliers... I wanted organic so I typed in "organic grain suppliers in wi". I ended up finding one place that is quite inexpensive. I asked ON where he gets his grains from and that is another WI grainary.

Doing the internet search can be hard wading through all the non-related junk but it can help. What state are you in?

Thats OK, you have nothing real "fancy" in there. Your base ingredients seem reasonable in price. Heck for me organic oats are only $12.50 for 50lbs. I never looked into barley, but it seems that they use it quite a bit for poultry in Europe.

Here is a link to a site with info on barley as poultry feed: (I am unfamiliar with the grain and need to read up on it.)
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/swine/eb73w.htm

ON
That is true. Barley is the number one grain for poultry in Denmark. At least it used to be. Now I think it is wheat. People here think it is very bad to feed more than about 5 % corn. Funny the many different ways.
Regarding the diffent grains. I have heard that chickens chooses a lot from shape, not taste. Given more round oats, the love them. Given small or long wheat, not so much.
I my self is leaving organic pellets. From now on it is organic wheat, oat, barley, corn (if I can find it organic), sunflower seed, flax, kelb, stinging nettle and rosehip, elderberry and that lovely little plant portulak from the garden.
All the best and good luck with the economy over there.

Last edited:
ok, the wife and I would like to come up with grain ration that we an get locally here in kansas for feeding. The supplies around here will not grind less then a ton at a time and as we only have 6 hens can't do that,,,

I will grind/mix a month or two's supply of feed this morning...... Using one of those $25 hand crank grinders from ebay, with a slow speed drill rigged to the shaft to power it... I only need to grind/crack some of the ingredients... In just an hour or so I can have a batch of home made feed made up....

I made a feed cage out of hardware cloth, to keep the rodents out of the grains which I buy organic and in bulk once a year.... Yes I drive 8+ hours round trip for organic grains... But only need to do it once or twice a year....

If their is a will,, there is a way...!! If you make your own mixes, just study up on what different ingredients offer, then you will not be tied to any specific ingredients..... IMO diversity is key...Calculating protein is fun...Learning about amino acids is empowering... It has to be an "interest" to make it worth while, if you just want to save money, which you will, it is not worth it for that alone.... It has to be more than that for you... Me not having funky chemical compounds in my food for our birds is very important... We cook and eat from scratch...We eat our birds eggs so we want their food to be from the fields not the laboratory also!!!

I secretly hope everyone starts making their own mixes, demanding feed stores stock raw ingredients... I look at it as independence, I think for myself, make my own choices, provide my own quality control, and take responsibility for the outcomes.... I do not want to live in a world where every thing is pre packaged for convenience, all the thinking done for me....

I like to think I know what is best for my birds my family and myself.... This is why I go through the "trouble" (LOL it is a pleasure) to mix my own feed for .the birds, and be very selective about foods we eat.

ON

feed cage

drill attached to cheap hand crank grinder...

Cardboard around grinder to make grains fall in can below... Yes.... this is authentic red neck rural farm boy bubble gum and baler twine engineering......
big_smile.png

But it works and on the cheap Been using this same set up for years...

Sorry,
One more comment... I use whole grains for the sprouts, but grind the dry feed, I used to leave some whole grains in the dry feed, as I believe strongly in whole grains,,, but I found the birds picked and wasted too much going after their favorite items, and never ever touching the peas! (Field peas are big hard and bitter to the human taste bud at least.

Back
Top Bottom