SOAP MAKERS UNITE!

I'll have to try it some day! I wanted to make my own laundry soap, but I heard most don't work. I'd love to make homemade soap that's actually good for you since Im trying to reduce the chemicals my family puts in and on their body.
After my kid was born I went into helicopter mode and made my own laundry soap (along with baby foods). It was mildly effective, but short-lived. Pinterest sucked me in with all their aesthetically pleasing photos of mason jars covered in nice handwriting labeled “soap”.

I found our old thread. It took some digging. Lots of good info here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soap-makers-help.92933/
Here is the soapmakers reference thread. I’m sure it needs updated but lots of references here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soap-makers-reference-thread.155832/page-4#post-8455933

Yay more reading!!! One of my favorite books on soap, the one I got for Christmas one year (thanks mom!), that actually started off my soapmaking adventures, is “Soap” by Ann Bramson. It also provided many traumatic gifts the next Christmas to all my relatives “is it even safe to use?” “I didn’t think it was possible to make it at home?!?” There was nothing wrong with it, it was lovely soap, they just had no confidence in me... :rolleyes: I live on a meat farm with an abbatoir now, so I have much access to animal fats in the fall, from sheep and beef, free. That was the hardest part for me to get back in the city. Also when I started soapmaking 20 years ago there wasn’t much interest of information as widely available. :old

After my kid was born I went into helicopter mode and made my own laundry soap (along with baby foods). It was mildly effective, but short-lived. Pinterest sucked me in with all their aesthetically pleasing photos of mason jars covered in nice handwriting labeled “soap”.
:lau Pinterest gets me every time... Then when I look at my completed projects it looks like a hot mess

:lau Pinterest gets me every time... Then when I look at my completed projects it looks like a hot mess
Just ONE time I’d like my Pinterest project to look like the photo I’m trying to emulate.

I love the beautiful soap designs people create. I would think soap making would be a great hobby for me. Even better if I could sell it and make a profit.

Yay more reading!!! One of my favorite books on soap, the one I got for Christmas one year (thanks mom!), that actually started off my soapmaking adventures, is “Soap” by Ann Bramson. It also provided many traumatic gifts the next Christmas to all my relatives “is it even safe to use?” “I didn’t think it was possible to make it at home?!?” There was nothing wrong with it, it was lovely soap, they just had no confidence in me... :rolleyes: I live on a meat farm with an abbatoir now, so I have much access to animal fats in the fall, from sheep and beef, free. That was the hardest part for me to get back in the city. Also when I started soapmaking 20 years ago there wasn’t much interest of information as widely available. :old
...because you'd give gifts of unsafe soap, right?? :rolleyes: Ironically, what's actually bad is the plethora of additives in many commercially-produced products.

...because you'd give gifts of unsafe soap, right?? :rolleyes: Ironically, what's actually bad is the plethora of additives in many commercially-produced products.

They just didn’t trust me, I can’t really blame them too much, I was 15/16 back then... it was economical, pretty, and handmade, I didn’t even think that they might think it was “bad” because homemade isn’t “safe”. I had 98% in chem 11 @ age 16... now I’m planning on turning it into a farm craft for sale.

Here are some soaps I used to make. I enjoy making this one And it sold like hot cakes. Vanilla verbena.
BEAC2631-ECEC-4781-A41D-025B10D00A16.jpeg
3A930B5E-90CA-4F36-8D86-6BC860428EBF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom