SOAP MAKERS UNITE!

equine chick

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 9, 2007
Volant Pa Lawrence County
We used to have an active soap making thread on here a few years ago and I learned a lot from it. It was nice to see new ideas and talk with beginners and real professional soap makers. I actually started a business in soapmaking in my community back then and had to stop due to commitments on work and recently decided to try my hand at soap making again after many requests from my customers. So soapmakers and I know you are out there so even if its something you are thinking about please join the thread.

I think the hardest part is putting together a recipe. I saw Katie from royalties soap has a fool proof blend from nurture soap you can buy. I like to add my own tweaks on different recipes. Essential oils is a hit and miss until you come up with the right combo. A lot of the companies like WSP and bb have eo and usage % and their results in cp soap.

I'll have to try it some day! I wanted to make my own laundry soap, but I heard most don't work. I'd love to make homemade soap that's actually good for you since Im trying to reduce the chemicals my family puts in and on their body.
After my kid was born I went into helicopter mode and made my own laundry soap (along with baby foods). It was mildly effective, but short-lived. Pinterest sucked me in with all their aesthetically pleasing photos of mason jars covered in nice handwriting labeled “soap”.

I found our old thread. It took some digging. Lots of good info here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soap-makers-help.92933/
Here is the soapmakers reference thread. I’m sure it needs updated but lots of references here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soap-makers-reference-thread.155832/page-4#post-8455933

Yay more reading!!! One of my favorite books on soap, the one I got for Christmas one year (thanks mom!), that actually started off my soapmaking adventures, is “Soap” by Ann Bramson. It also provided many traumatic gifts the next Christmas to all my relatives “is it even safe to use?” “I didn’t think it was possible to make it at home?!?” There was nothing wrong with it, it was lovely soap, they just had no confidence in me... :rolleyes: I live on a meat farm with an abbatoir now, so I have much access to animal fats in the fall, from sheep and beef, free. That was the hardest part for me to get back in the city. Also when I started soapmaking 20 years ago there wasn’t much interest of information as widely available. :old

...because you'd give gifts of unsafe soap, right?? :rolleyes: Ironically, what's actually bad is the plethora of additives in many commercially-produced products.

They just didn’t trust me, I can’t really blame them too much, I was 15/16 back then... it was economical, pretty, and handmade, I didn’t even think that they might think it was “bad” because homemade isn’t “safe”. I had 98% in chem 11 @ age 16... now I’m planning on turning it into a farm craft for sale.

Here are some soaps I used to make. I enjoy making this one And it sold like hot cakes. Vanilla verbena.
BEAC2631-ECEC-4781-A41D-025B10D00A16.jpeg
3A930B5E-90CA-4F36-8D86-6BC860428EBF.jpeg

I like wooden molds. I have one from bramble berry a small 5 lb mold but check out the etsy makers lots of mold makers on their and very reasonable. The silicone liners from essential depot are also really good too, never had trouble with them with my soap. I plan on making a batch next month I need to get together my oils. I never used real tallow but would like to try one day, I live near an amish community and sure I could find some if I asked around at my amish tack store.

Back
Top Bottom