socializing chicks.

I've been doing a lot of research, and most methods of chick socializing include a towel, but there aren't any old towels in the house...
hit.gif

I just love holding chicks and found the best way to socialize them is to hold them many times a day :)

I just got my chicks yesterday. One of them immediately took to me and wanted to snuggle in my hand. That was my first pick, I'm hoping it's a she so I can keep her. The other two are also friendly and want to jump on my hand to perch or snuggle in and go to sleep.
Last night I had them all three laying on me and the first one (black) crawled away from his buddies and curled up against my neck and went to sleep! This morning that one groomed my finger like I'm another chicken!
I never knew that chicks were so sweet! I had always been told that chickens are just evil and want to peck your eyes out. Maybe that will still happen, I have no idea what puberty will do to them!
I love rubbing their fuzz with my finger and showing them how much I want to connect and bond with them. I love them so much! PLEASE be hens! Hahaha.

I just got my first set of baby chicks a couple days ago. They are about 3-4 weeks old, 2 ameraucana pullets and 2 golden laced wyandotte pullets. I am having trouble with one of the wyandottes, she has started pecking at one of the ameraucana pullets and making her bleed. Is this normal? I have separated the one that is pecking and put her into her own pen. Any advise?

I just got my first set of baby chicks a couple days ago. They are about 3-4 weeks old, 2 ameraucana pullets and 2 golden laced wyandotte pullets. I am having trouble with one of the wyandottes, she has started pecking at one of the ameraucana pullets and making her bleed. Is this normal? I have separated the one that is pecking and put her into her own pen. Any advise?
Welcome to the chicken world!
celebrate.gif

Pecking is normal, but not to the point of bleeding. Clean the wound with something like hydrogen peroxide, because chickens will peck viciously at the sight of blood.

Thanks for the advise. I have had to keep them separate still, but the one has healed greatly. I have tried to reintroduce the little trouble maker back into the pen with the other pullets and she/he still pecks them. I'm really wondering if it is a roo instead of a pullet.
idunno.gif

Welcome to the chicken world!
celebrate.gif

Pecking is normal, but not to the point of bleeding. Clean the wound with something like hydrogen peroxide, because chickens will peck viciously at the sight of blood.
Thanks for the advise. I have had to keep them separate still, but the one has healed greatly. I have tried to reintroduce the little trouble maker back into the pen with the other pullets and she/he still pecks them. I'm really wondering if it is a roo instead of a pullet.
idunno.gif

Are their any other indications of roo in the chick?

These are my first set of chicks, so I am completely new at this. I have adult hens and got them when they first started laying, but the chicks are new to me. What kind of things should I be looking for?

Back
Top Bottom