socializing chicks.

yes, you can feed mealworms. It's best if you pinch off the heads first for the first week you feed them the worms. I get mine from Petco or Petsmart. They also love the freeze dried ones...they're like potato chips and you don't have to refrigerate them!

oh, and start off only feeding very few...maybe 1 or 2 a day at first so they eat their chick feed!

Last edited:
One of our bonding activities...see the background
smile.png

79508_chillin.jpg

I have two small children who want to love them to death. What can i do to make sure that when the chicks are grown they dont attack my kiddos? i want them to be tame and kind, is that something you can influence on chickens?

Hi, all

I'm raising my first small flock of chicks; I swear, they grow overnight! They were hatched 03/25/13 and consist of 2 buff orpingtons, 2 silver laced wyandottes, a black australorp and a cuckoo maran. It's still quite chilly here in NH and the babies are in a washing machine box with pine shaving bedding. I've raised the waterer a few times and they are now trying to fly and standing on the feeder! I also have an awesome lady mentoring me and has the patience of a saint!
That being said, I want to socialize my babies. Tonight, I took some of their food, put it in the palm of my hand, and they readily came over to nibble. One of them was more intent on eating ME! LOL! I'm afraid to take them out from under their heating lamp and it's way too cold and windy still to take them out. I could take them into another room like the bathroom, where I can close the door, and offer them some mealy worms, etc. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions about that?

Thanks,

Mimi
Nashua, NH

Right now, the girls are in a washing machine box. I introduced a piece of crown molding as a perch for them. The black australorp, Dita, is totally Top Peck in the pecking order. She was the first to stand on the feeder and first on the perch! I haven't introduced mealy worms or veggies, etc. And I realized I have a hallway in the house that will be great for them and me. No place for them to go and get hurt but lots of room to run around.

Hoping to revive this thread as spring comes and people are getting their chicks.

Thank you for bumping this thread! I am getting my first fluffies in a few weeks and it is very important that I am able to handle them and have the chickens as friendly towards my two small children as possible.

Back
Top Bottom