Socializing chics

pammurphy132

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2018
My chics are 8 weeks old & spent their first nite outside in a small coop separate from the big coop! I let them out into the ring during the day while the big girls are free ranging & open the outside for off the coop so the big girls can get in! Forget how long to keep them separated! They can see each other but have to chase them around to put them in the coop at nite

My chicks are 8 weeks old & spent their first night outside in a small coop separate from the big coop! I let them out into the ring during the day while the big girls are free ranging & open the outside for off the coop so the big girls can get in! Forget how long to keep them separated! They can see each other but have to chase them around to put them in the coop at night
That seems okay if you have to chase them back into their coop since I have to do it too if you want to you can go to TSC or your other local farm store and get mealworms and train them to get into the coop when you shake it.

They'll probably need to be separated from adults for 1-2 weeks (need to play it by ear as every flock is different) before you try and let them mingle with supervision. Ideally you want the adults to lose some/most of their interest in the chicks.

That seems okay if you have to chase them back into their coop since I have to do it too if you want to you can go to TSC or your other local farm store and get mealworms and train them to get into the coop when you shake it.
That's a great idea

Back
Top Bottom