Soft egg passed?? Please help

Nani87

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
A09BA97F-58AA-4E4E-B999-D8821BBA2BBF.jpeg

Pinot Ia 3.5 yrs. She’s always been a prolific layer but has been slowing down due to weather, Aj, etc. today I picked her up and fluid leaked out her vent. I was then able to pull out what is in the first picture and she continued to leak some fluid when I put her down. She seems like she was gagging. She is walking around better but not eating. Please help.

Attachments

• 72050381-103C-4C75-98CE-681A4D2DBC3B.jpeg
    72050381-103C-4C75-98CE-681A4D2DBC3B.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 2
  • B3140AF3-9335-4037-8FBE-A40932E5EFE4.jpeg
    B3140AF3-9335-4037-8FBE-A40932E5EFE4.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 2
View attachment 3702489
Pinot Ia 3.5 yrs. She’s always been a prolific layer but has been slowing down due to weather, Aj, etc. today I picked her up and fluid leaked out her vent. I was then able to pull out what is in the first picture and she continued to leak some fluid when I put her down. She seems like she was gagging. She is walking around better but not eating. Please help.
I'm a terribly sorry to say this but because she is an ISA Brown or relative of that breed she is probably getting ready to end her laying career and pass away. All my ISA Browns ( or related breeds ) died soon after laying a soft shell. In the night afterward.
It's because of something in that breed that is bred into them to lay and lay and lay eggs - up to 320 eggs per year. Because of her age, she is older. She has actually lived longer that any of my ISA Browns have.
She probably isn't a ISA Brown. Golden Comet, I'm thinking?.
In the future, If you plan on getting more chickens I would buy non - hybrid chickens. May I recommend the Buff Orpingtons??

Oh no. I am crushed. She is my absolute favorite. We have 7 she is the only brown IPA. She is such a sweet girl. Should I let her stay with her girls tonight or maybe bring her into an inside crate? Thanks for letting me know. 😥

Oh no. I am crushed. She is my absolute favorite. We have 7 she is the only brown IPA. She is such a sweet girl. Should I let her stay with her girls tonight or maybe bring her into an inside crate? Thanks for letting me know. 😥
I would keep her with the other hens. Let her be where she feels comfortable.
Again Sorry about you girl! :hugs

Just wanted to give an update. I gave Pino the calcium last night and she seemed a little bit better this morning. I repeated the dose tonight and she was alert and eating well so hopefully she’s on the mend. Hopefully she hangs in there. Thanks everybody.

Back
Top Bottom