Passed a soft egg and lethargic Help please

Nani87

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
8C0774D6-02CD-4197-BBC2-0480341CEC65.jpeg

Pinot is 3.5 yrs old. She has always been a prolific layer but has been slowing down due to weather, age, etc. today. She’s acting lethargic. I picked her up and fluid leaked out her vent. I pulled out what is in the first photo and some fluid continued to leak when I sit her down it looked like she was gagging a bit as well. Please any suggestions as to how to help her she’s walking around better now, but is not eating. Thank you

Attachments

• 876AC6A1-C885-4318-AC02-D2C7266411E8.jpeg
    876AC6A1-C885-4318-AC02-D2C7266411E8.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 1
  • A1154CDF-30AC-4291-BA1B-17C0E9612B3C.jpeg
    A1154CDF-30AC-4291-BA1B-17C0E9612B3C.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 2
It looks like she passed yolk and a lot of egg membrane, so she is having a serious problem with shell-less eggs and one breaking inside. She may have inflammation of her oviduct, but it could be a calcium deficiency. I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D 600 mg today and repeat for the next 7 days, or until she lays a normal egg. She will swallow it if you pop it into her beak. I would separate her in a dog crate with food and water tonight to watch her.

It looks like she passed yolk and a lot of egg membrane, so she is having a serious problem with shell-less eggs and one breaking inside. She may have inflammation of her oviduct, but it could be a calcium deficiency. I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D 600 mg today and repeat for the next 7 days, or until she lays a normal egg. She will swallow it if you pop it into her beak. I would separate her in a dog crate with food and water tonight to watch her.
Thank you! I will try giving it to her tonight and bring her in tonight so I can watch her. Crossing my fingers for her.

I was looking back at your threads, and she was having some issues back in August. Hopefully, she will get over this and live for some time longer.
I just wanted to give an update she has had calcium and is perking up a little. She is eating and going outside with the other girls. hopefully she will continue to respond. Interestingly enough, I was told that I may have given her too much raw spinach, which depletes their calcium. I research everything I give them as treats, but wasn’t aware that spinach was different than a lot of other leafy greens. I just mention this in case there are other newbies. Thanks again for everyone’s wonderful advice and sorry about the two thread thing.

I just wanted to give an update she has had calcium and is perking up a little. She is eating and going outside with the other girls. hopefully she will continue to respond. Interestingly enough, I was told that I may have given her too much raw spinach, which depletes their calcium. I research everything I give them as treats, but wasn’t aware that spinach was different than a lot of other leafy greens. I just mention this in case there are other newbies. Thanks again for everyone’s wonderful advice and sorry about the two thread thing.
I had a red sex link that ONLY ever laid shell-less eggs after passing a lash egg soon after I got her as at a year old. Tried all the things I could find. Jemima lived a really good life for almost 3 years despite whatever repro issues she had! Hopefully your girl will be around for many more to come! (PS- I didn’t know that about the spinach)

Back
Top Bottom