Soft egg shell?

StrawberryMoon

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
Indiana, USA
I found this egg shaped shell, which seems almost the consistency of a balloon. It's not hard at all, and is empty. Is this cause for alarm?
IMG_20180415_135958.jpg

As a one time occurrence...I would not be alarmed....BUT if you know which hen laid this, then I would watch her for "off" behavior (isolating herself, lethargy, moving slowly, tail down, not eating/drinking much, not participating with the flock, etc.).

And what should I do if this is the case?
For mine, if they have a soft shell/shell less egg or I find a membrane and my girl seems a bit off- I take her aside offer Poultry Nutri-Drench at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. I also get Calcium into her - usually this is a TUMS crushed up and sprinkled over a little egg. The I just watch to see that she is drinking. A hen needs hydrated when they have had problems with an egg. I don't worry about food-she will be o.k. for a day if she does not eat. Sometimes they may still have some egg yolk or whites that need to be expelled, occasionally there may be more membrane or a partial shell that needs to come out. Each time is a little different.

In the photo you posted, it looks like the membrane was intact - for me, behavior is key in determining if a hen is in trouble.

For mine, if they have a soft shell/shell less egg or I find a membrane and my girl seems a bit off- I take her aside offer Poultry Nutri-Drench at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. I also get Calcium into her - usually this is a TUMS crushed up and sprinkled over a little egg. The I just watch to see that she is drinking. A hen needs hydrated when they have had problems with an egg. I don't worry about food-she will be o.k. for a day if she does not eat. Sometimes they may still have some egg yolk or whites that need to be expelled, occasionally there may be more membrane or a partial shell that needs to come out. Each time is a little different.

In the photo you posted, it looks like the membrane was intact - for me, behavior is key in determining if a hen is in trouble.
Thank you! I have some nutri-drench and an isolation area. I don't know which hen laid this egg, but I do have one hen whose comb is a little pale and she has been hanging out alone more than usual. She also looks kind of....puffy. Tail is pointed up though, and shess engaging in normal behaviors. I'll isolate her tomorrow and give her supplements. Her abdomen didn't seem swollen but her back side looked like it might be swollen. Is she in need of a veterinarian? I'm willing to take her if necessary.

Thank you! I have some nutri-drench and an isolation area. I don't know which hen laid this egg, but I do have one hen whose comb is a little pale and she has been hanging out alone more than usual. She also looks kind of....puffy. Tail is pointed up though, and shess engaging in normal behaviors. I'll isolate her tomorrow and give her supplements. Her abdomen didn't seem swollen but her back side looked like it might be swollen. Is she in need of a veterinarian? I'm willing to take her if necessary.
Having your vet perform a fecal float to rule out internal parasites would be good.

If she is a bit droopy, then I would give her a little extra attention. See how she does with vitamins and Calcium. Also check her crop to makes sure it's emptying overnight and look for any lice/mites.

I only pull my girl out to give her the "extras" and so I don't have to fight off the other hens that want her egg with Calcium, they also try to snatch the vitamin syringe (bunch of spoiled beggars) :rolleyes: It's just me and her. Once she is hydrated, has the vitamins and calcium, back in the flock she goes. If she were very lethargic or being picked on, she would be separated into either a kennel or housing next to the flock so she isn't stressed by being completely removed.

If your so inclined, check out HenCam.com. Terry Golson has some very good practical information on hen care (for a list of her articles/blog info, look at the FAQ's section). A "spa treatment" will sometimes set a hen right. https://hencam.com/faq/the-spa-treatment/

Let us know how she's doing.

I like isolate a 'problem' bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor her intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and her poops. Feel her abdomen for squishy or hard
swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Thanks all! We did the "spa treatment" last night, and I added nutri-drench and oregano tea to her water. She is swollen. I've got her in a crate for observation. Is there anything else I can do for her?

Back
Top Bottom