Soft eggs

Artic Chick

Chirping
Mar 11, 2019
My barred rocks are about 6-7 months old and have been laying regularly for about 2 months Last Thursday and this Thursday I have found a soft egg in the coop. I let the girls out of their coop about 7 am and that's when I found them. The girls usually lay between 10:30 - 11:30am. I have 5 chickens and get 5 eggs a day. Once in awhile I get 4 eggs. I know that this can happen when they first start to lay but since they having been laying for awhile I'm wondering if I'm not giving them the right food combinations. I feed they layer food, scratch and veggie scraps. They have access to the layer food all day and I gave them scratch and veggie scraps in the afternoon. Plus water access all day. Does the just happen once in awhile or should I be concerned. I would appreciate your advice. Thank you

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
My barred rocks are about 6-7 months old and have been laying regularly for about 2 months Last Thursday and this Thursday I have found a soft egg in the coop. I let the girls out of their coop about 7 am and that's when I found them. The girls usually lay between 10:30 - 11:30am. I have 5 chickens and get 5 eggs a day. Once in awhile I get 4 eggs. I know that this can happen when they first start to lay but since they having been laying for awhile I'm wondering if I'm not giving them the right food combinations. I feed they layer food, scratch and veggie scraps. They have access to the layer food all day and I gave them scratch and veggie scraps in the afternoon. Plus water access all day. Does the just happen once in awhile or should I be concerned. I would appreciate your advice. Thank you
How much scratch?
Do you have a separate container with oyster shell in it near their feed?
I also save all eggshells, rinse them well then microwave them for about 2 minutes, crush them up and put them in another container. They will polish these off quickly then go back to picking at the oyster shell.
I personally prefer Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side as the protein in the FR is 20% and I don't want my flock eating the high calcium/lower protein layer food all the time as I have a mixed flock.

Top Bottom