Soft eggs

samikirn11

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2023
MONTANA
Hi there. I'm new to backyard chickens. I have one hen that keeps laying soft shelled eggs sometimes even 2 a day. Just today she started only taking a few steps then laying down. She still eats and drinks. They have a good layer feed and oyster shells. I also got a wormer for their feed. Any ideas of what to try?

Hi there. I'm new to backyard chickens. I have one hen that keeps laying soft shelled eggs sometimes even 2 a day. Just today she started only taking a few steps then laying down. She still eats and drinks. They have a good layer feed and oyster shells. I also got a wormer for their feed. Any ideas of what to try?
Have you noticed her eating the oyster shell? She could just not be eating it..

Can you dose her with calcium citrate? You can get it at any wal Mart or pharmacy. Have her facing out on your left thigh, tuck the pill into your right hand, wrap around gery with your left hand, pry open her beak and tuck in the pill with your right hand on side of beak.
1000003677.png

I agree...dosing them directly with the calcium citrate will help the to quickly absorb the calcium the need.

What type of oyster shells do your girls get? My will not touch the regular, pebble like oyster shells. I have a 50 lb bag sitting there going to waste. I have to buy my girls the expensive flake type oyster shells (picture attached). Since they have been on this I have not had a problem with them laying soft eggs outside of a pullet just coming into lay on occasion who has not figure out things yet.

Hope everything works out with your girls.

1693786577841.png

I agree...dosing them directly with the calcium citrate will help the to quickly absorb the calcium the need.

What type of oyster shells do your girls get? My will not touch the regular, pebble like oyster shells. I have a 50 lb bag sitting there going to waste. I have to buy my girls the expensive flake type oyster shells (picture attached). Since they have been on this I have not had a problem with them laying soft eggs outside of a pullet just coming into lay on occasion who has not figure out things yet.

Hope everything works out with your girls.

View attachment 3627404
Ok great thank you! I have the pebbles. I'll try this brand! Did your girls ever lay around more during the time they were laying soft shells? She just started not wanting to walk around much!

Ok great thank you! I have the pebbles. I'll try this brand! Did your girls ever lay around more during the time they were laying soft shells? She just started not wanting to walk around much!
Mine did not, except for the one that had the shell break inside of her. It could be she is fighting an infection. That would make her not want to walk around much

I would get the calcium into her as quickly as you can. Lack of calcium van cause other problems.

If she is fighting you on the calcium, you can grind it up and put it into something she likes. Mine go nuts for hard cooked eggs. I just fry an egg, pop the yolk, sprinkle the calcium onto the egg and fold it over. Cook untill well done. It is gone seconds .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom