Soft eggshells

Dyandahlberg

Chirping
Sep 22, 2019
I have 3 chickens all approximately the same age. They obviously have the same diet and same surroundings and have been together for 3 years. Two lay one egg a day. The third rarely ever lays and when she does it is often a soft shell that is often broken when I find it. Any ideas?

What is their diet? If she's always laid like this, she may have a faulty gland, it happens.
No she has not always laid like this. She used to be a one-a-day layer. They all have the same diet. Organic pellets with calcium added in. And scratch scattered around in the morning.

The only calcium I’ve given her is what i add to their feed. So they all get the same thing. I don’t know how to give her additional calcium.
Two suggested methods:
1) via tablet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soft-damaged-eggs.1452762/#post-24179334

2) via private breakfast:
If you know exactly which bird is the problem bird, isolate her for a private breakfast. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results.

Because you say you've already put calcium in the feed, I think option 1 would be the better choice as it provides a larger boost. Also I wouldn't add calcium directly to the feed (except for this one bird, if you do the "breakfast" option) - the other birds need to be able to regulate their intake if they don't have nearly the same calcium needs.

Back
Top Bottom