Soft shelled egg dropped in run and the cannibals ate it before I could stop them!

1dermaker1

Songster
Feb 2, 2023
Kearneysville, WV
So my almost 20 week old Chickens were excitedly congregating around something in the run and when I got close I realized it was a soft shelled egg..Shooing them from it only made them more excited to get it down their gullet before I could take it from them...

I believe I read that when this happens in the wild, it's to keep the predators away. But do I need to worry about egg eating habits at this point?

This is my first flock. I approximate that I have about 15 of the 24 actually laying eggs, and know that this was probably one of the newbies. They are getting oystershell on the side of Scratch & Peck's Organic Grower mash, and plenty of greens.

Do I have anything to worry about? Or is this is just normal?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
You need to switch to Layer feed asap with so many of them already laying. Rule of thumb is to switch at 18 to 20 weeks or as soon as they start laying. Grower feed isn't giving them the right nutritional balance at this point.

You need to switch to Layer feed asap with so many of them already laying. Rule of thumb is to switch at 18 to 20 weeks or as soon as they start laying. Grower feed isn't giving them the right nutritional balance at this point.
Thank you, I have 3 cockerels to make up a flock of 27 total chickens. I was under the impression that Roosters shouldn't be eating layer feed... my understanding was a quality grower or all flock with calcium (oystershells/egg shells) given al la carte is a good way to do it? Like I said I'm new at this so if I'm doing it wrong please let me know!
It's normal, broken eggs are fair game. It does not lead directly to egg eating.
Whew! Good to know Thank you!

Thank you, I have 3 cockerels to make up a flock of 27 total chickens. I was under the impression that Roosters shouldn't be eating layer feed... my understanding was a quality grower or all flock with calcium (oystershells/egg shells) given al la carte is a good way to do it? Like I said I'm new at this so if I'm doing it wrong please let me know!

The roosters can eat layer food

Correct here ... Chicks & Roos shouldn't have the extra calcium that layer feed contains, although some will disagree (the debate is on). I choose the easy way, going with grower, all flock, multi purpose feed and free choice oyster shells on the side is the way to go. Not having to purchase different feeds ... I've been doing this for 7+ yrs and haven't had any issues.

I have a new set of hens, one occasionally has a soft shell, I just add some Oyster Flour to their feed for a day or two. She's a picky eater but healthy and lays me an egg every day.

Correct here ... Chicks & Roos shouldn't have the extra calcium that layer feed contains, although some will disagree (the debate is on). I choose the easy way, going with grower, all flock, multi purpose feed and free choice oyster shells on the side is the way to go. Not having to purchase different feeds ... I've been doing this for 7+ yrs and haven't had any issues.

I have a new set of hens, one occasionally has a soft shell, I just add some Oyster Flour to their feed for a day or two. She's a picky eater but healthy and lays me an egg every day.

This is how I manage my flock as well. I have some old birds that don't lay anymore and a growing cockerel. While HE is new the old ladies certainly aren't. I don't see thin shells or shell less eggs even from my 9 old birds that still lay. I do also put egg shells in the oyster shell dish.

Back
Top Bottom