Soft shelled eggs. Lash material? Reproductive illness? Ascites?

ChickenMama308

Songster
Mar 17, 2018
Aloha everyone!

My sweet 2.5 year old RIR hen, Oia, had a swollen abdomen for at least a couple months that had her having soft poops, eating less, and loss of muscle mass. Her sister died in November from reproductive illness :( Oia seemed to be getting more unwell as her abdomen enlarged, and the morning I was going to start her on anti-inflammatories, she seemed back to being herself - and when I felt her abdomen it was no longer filled with fluid! It was a wonderful morning :) Her poops went back to normal and all has seemed great for the past month or so. last week however, she passed what looked like a soft shelled egg /membrane with no yolk... and what is that attached to it? She passed another similar one a few days ago, as seen in final photo. She seems to be acting normal otherwise but curious what this could be / what this could mean. As an FYI - she is 100% free range and I have no idea unfortunately if or how often she is laying eggs, or what they look like. It seemed very lucky that I got to see these, as she passed them near where she roosts.

Thank you for any thoughts / advice :)

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 10.06.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 10.05.07 PM.png
IMG_9331.JPG
IMG_4823.jpg

Soft shell, membrane, lash egg material=Possible Reproductive tract infection / disorder.

I understand they are freerange chickens, but you you feed a source of calcium?

Have you tried supplementing your flock with calcium? It’s not likely that they are getting enough to manufacture their egg shell just on a free range diet alone.

Without a source of calcium, chickens pull from their own bones and become calcium deficient.

Aloha everyone!

My sweet 2.5 year old RIR hen, Oia, had a swollen abdomen for at least a couple months that had her having soft poops, eating less, and loss of muscle mass. Her sister died in November from reproductive illness :( Oia seemed to be getting more unwell as her abdomen enlarged, and the morning I was going to start her on anti-inflammatories, she seemed back to being herself - and when I felt her abdomen it was no longer filled with fluid! It was a wonderful morning :) Her poops went back to normal and all has seemed great for the past month or so. last week however, she passed what looked like a soft shelled egg /membrane with no yolk... and what is that attached to it? She passed another similar one a few days ago, as seen in final photo. She seems to be acting normal otherwise but curious what this could be / what this could mean. As an FYI - she is 100% free range and I have no idea unfortunately if or how often she is laying eggs, or what they look like. It seemed very lucky that I got to see these, as she passed them near where she roosts.

Thank you for any thoughts / advice :)

View attachment 1676032 View attachment 1676033 View attachment 1676034 View attachment 1676035
Where are you located (state/country)?
You free range 100%, so they get no supplementation whatsoever?
I agree with @staceyj provide her with a source of Calcium. It does look like a reproductive problem for which there is no cure, but the calcium may help firm up/harden the shell and help with contractions so she can more easily pass the eggs.
Oyster shell can be found at most feed stores, just put some in a separate container, your girls will take what they need.

What you have in the photo looks like she has Salpingitis. You mentioned she had fluid in the abdomen/large abdomen. It's good that she was able to re-absorb some of the fluid and passed the egg.
If she were mine, I would also treat her with antibiotics. You can use Baytril or Amoxicillin - those may help with infection, but if this is Salpingitis, there is no cure.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

upload_2019-2-17_10-21-42.png

upload_2019-2-17_10-21-31.png

Back
Top Bottom