Soft torn egg

So clear fluid shot out of her mixed with a small amount of pooo. Now she is playing and scratching. How soon will I know if she has an infection? Is it possible that resolved it?
My hand compared to the amount of flyud
A1DFEF60-BDCF-444B-830D-F65595152D1B.jpeg

It's a very good combo of two antibiotics. You're lucky to have that.
I don’t mean to brag on having it or anything :oops: it wasn’t cheap but I was sure we could save her- and We did! What we went through was a more advanced form of EYP, (we think she had broken the egg a while before she showed symptoms) so I also hope I’m not scaring anyone else when they see the label on that thing. I would say while I’m lucky to have an avian vet, any person can treat their chickens without having to use one! You should never feel discouraged if you think that you cant help your chickens- because you can! And I’ll tell you- you might be saving a LOT of money when you do so :lol:

Tums will work. But get the calcium citrate with D when you can get out. Give one tablet every day until this is resolved and her eggs are coming out normal.
She just had fluid shoot out of her. Like water and it was a lot.

View attachment 2383357
I may not speak whatever language this is written in (forgive me but do they really need to make these treatments have such complicated names?) but it worked so well! We gave it to Joy twice a day for two weeks and she fought the EYP like nobody’s business (I sincerely have no idea what this medicine is but it worked) it was given to us by the vet so of course I doubt you can just buy it off the internet. We have been keeping it in the fridge just in case we may run into another issue when our pullets start laying this fall.
I have powdered amoxicillin how much do I give her? If I put in her feed is she going to be on to me?

Did you give her the Tums yet? Do it now, if not. Be sure she has plenty of water to drink. This is making her thirsty and we don't want dehydration to make it harder for her to clear the remains.
Not yet. My son went to buy some. She is back in her nesting box. What was the pink hoop that came out? Is she going to be ok???

She may have been drinking a lot of water, and they can have watery poops afterward. I wouldn’t worry too much yet about her eggs since they can lay some rubbery eggs at first, and she may have had one coming fast after the first where they bumped together and made a weak spot in the first one. Get her on some Caltrate 1/2 tablet daily (it has calcium and D3.) If she continues to have trouble with eggs, it might be an ongoing problem with her shell gland. If giving amoxicillin, give 125 mg twice a day. It may mix in some yogurt or scrambled egg.

It's always best, for lots of reasons, to confine your patient to a crate so you can more closely monitor her and give her the meds she needs. And be sure to give her plenty of water because she's losing it instead of absorbing it.

If you sent someone out to buy calcium, call them and have them pick up calcium citrate with D3. It's much better than Tums and more easily absorbed. It's in the vitamin aisle at Walmart.

Place your hen on a nice thick towel to absorb the fluids she's expelling. What happens in a lot of these cases where egg material blocks off, even partially, the common duct where eggs and poop share the road, is the cecum is shut down. That's where the water she drinks that isn't used in the intestine gets distributed to the rest of her body's tissues, so it comes out the poop hole instead. Also, no cecal poop is produced during the blockage. When you see a nice smelly cecal poop again, that's a sign the blockage has probably cleared.

If you can post a photo of this pink goop, we might be able to guess what it is. A little goop may be intestinal lining. A lot of goop could be blood from intestinal inflammation. But we need to see the goop and the color to judge for ourselves.

If you can post a photo of this pink goop, we might be able to guess what it is. A little goop may be intestinal lining. A lot of goop could be blood from intestinal inflammation. But we need to see the goop and the color to judge for ourselves.
I tried to get a pic. I picked it up I’m a stick and my other chicken ate it. It was rubbery and pink

Back
Top Bottom