Solar Coop Lighting?

ObiHenKanobi

Chirping
Jul 1, 2020
Has anyone used solar panels on a coop to power lights in the winter? We have are finishing up a small coop and probably will not heat it due to fire hazard concerns, but I'd like to put a lightbulb in there for the winter months. Our days get very short in northern Vermont for the winter months!

Enough light to boost egg laying or enough light for you to do some work after dark? The solar sidewalk lights produce about 4 hours of egg laying light and they are relatively cheap.

My coop is automated and set up for supplemental light, but I chose not too use that feature. My flock is is half pet, half practical. Maybe less practical than that😉 Artificially changing the natural cycle can have health impact.

I have seen some really cheap bulbs with solar panels on Amazon that may work, but a reliable system will have a solar panel, charge controller, battery, a method of controlling the light, and the lights. The size of the battery and solor panel would be dependant on how long the lights need to run and how much energy the lights consume. If you choose to DIY, myself or someone else I'm sure could help size the componants.

Off the shelf solar lights are likely not enough for supplemental lighting.
Need a system that has large enough panels and battery storage that will consistently provide enough power in your area to have lights on at the same time and duration every.single.day.
Need a timer wired in too.

Back
Top Bottom