Solar Eclipse 2024 Coming April 8th!

Are you traveling to see it?

• Total voters
This is hilariously incorrect. There is no abrupt change in light. Eclipses last an hour or more. Even at totality, it's dusk. Not pitch blackness. Most animals don't care at all. They're not looking up at the sky wondering why the lights went out. Do they freak out at sunrise or sunset? Those behaviors are what you can expect to see.
I agree. I would expect to see my chickens start their lazy wander to the coop as they do each day as soon as the shadows hit the lawn.

This is hilariously incorrect. There is no abrupt change in light. Eclipses last an hour or more. Even at totality, it's dusk. Not pitch blackness. Most animals don't care at all. They're not looking up at the sky wondering why the lights went out. Do they freak out at sunrise or sunset? Those behaviors are what you can expect to see.
It's not the blackness or lack of it. It's the fact of the eclipse itself causes changes animals pick up on.

"...for our furry companions, including pet cats and dogs, the events in a Solar Eclipse can cause confusion or anxiety. The reason: Like many animals and birds, our pets too can sense changes in the environment during a Solar Eclipse, which includes changes in light and temperature."

My cats slept soundly through the earthquake (epicenter 20 mils from our house) so I doubt they will notice the eclipse.
If anything they'll just do cat stuff.

Be forewarned, your electronics will be taken advantage of by cats and chickens that know you're distracted by some super special sun thing outside.

It's not the blackness or lack of it. It's the fact of the eclipse itself causes changes animals pick up on.

"...for our furry companions, including pet cats and dogs, the events in a Solar Eclipse can cause confusion or anxiety. The reason: Like many animals and birds, our pets too can sense changes in the environment during a Solar Eclipse, which includes changes in light and temperature."
I think it would be interesting to compare the reactions of wild animals vs pets, who more often than not pick up on and react to the emotional changes in their owners.

Aart, what do you think about the chooks regarding the eclipse? I'm driving to upstate NY, so i wont be home with the chickens when eclipse happens and now having second thoughts about leaving them.
My chickens went through the 2017 eclipse, and where I was it was near totality. They had no issues, just were a little confused about why it was getting dark at 10 am. I'm fairly certain they forgot about it within a few hours.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. There is a fundamental lack of any kind of supporting science here, so all of these articles suggesting anything are simply speculative and based on common sense. You know your pets. If you feel you need to keep an eye on them for some reason, then do so. If not, enjoy the eclipse.

Back
Top Bottom