Solar fan?

Janj76

Songster
May 19, 2017
Alabama
IMG_0642.JPG
My 8 week old chicks are way overdue to go into the coop but because it's been SO wet here in AL I can't move my Amish coop into the backyard yet. I'm trying to get everything ready for that day. I will not have electricity to the coop.
I have bought solar lights for inside and outside the coop. But with 90+ degree heat and high humidity what type of fan can I get for the coop? I have a fan on the brooder right now which is on my back porch and they love it! I'm also putting cold water out twice a day and cold water in a pan for them to stand in. But I want a fan to draw cool air into the coop. It would have to be battery operated or solar. I have not found one that I think will work yet. Suggestions? I've attached a pic of my coop.

Cute coop! Yeah, it can be hard to move them in wet weather. As far as fans go, dollar stores usually have small, battery-operated fans.

What you can do, if you just happen to have a car battery lying around, is hook it up to a box fan. You will need a converter for this. I bought a $20 one on amazon and use it to heat my chickens' water in the winter.
As far as solar, I've only ever used car batteries. Once it's useless for the car, we use them for electric fencing. They can be hooked up to small solar panels. We use them, but I have never actually gone about buying one.

Once you can move your house, make the windows point north. This is where the prevailing cool winds will come from.

Cute coop! Yeah, it can be hard to move them in wet weather. As far as fans go, dollar stores usually have small, battery-operated fans.

What you can do, if you just happen to have a car battery lying around, is hook it up to a box fan. You will need a converter for this. I bought a $20 one on amazon and use it to heat my chickens' water in the winter.
As far as solar, I've only ever used car batteries. Once it's useless for the car, we use them for electric fencing. They can be hooked up to small solar panels. We use them, but I have never actually gone about buying one.

Once you can move your house, make the windows point north. This is where the prevailing cool winds will come from.
The way the coop has to sit the windows will actually face south but there is a drop down opening on the others side at the top for ventilation. Also the bottom of the door is covered in hardware cloth and can be left open. I hadn't thought of using a car battery. Is the set up difficult?

The way the coop has to sit the windows will actually face south but there is a drop down opening on the others side at the top for ventilation. Also the bottom of the door is covered in hardware cloth and can be left open. I hadn't thought of using a car battery. Is the set up difficult?
Not really. Old ones can be temperamental, but once you get a power converter, it's as easy as plugging it into a wall.

That looks about right. Same price, too.
Remember, black is negative, red is positive.
Okay my inverter came yesterday. What kind of battery do I need? Would a lawn mower battery work? And when would I need to charge the battery? If it's just running a fan how long would the battery last?

Back
Top Bottom